co2 questions

chris b

I am looking at buying a co2 system for my 6x2x2

I have never had a co2 system b4 and was wondering what i need?

Is there anything i should watch out for?

wanting to spend about $400 and would like one with a ph controller and as bigger bottle as pos

any advice would be great.

If anyone has one on here that they would like to sell please pm me

Thanks Chris

• 2 weeks later...
You'll be hard pressed to find a CO2 system with a pH controller for $400.

Most expensive bit is the CO2 cylinder itself which can be about $300 for a decent / appropriate sized bottle.

yea thats ok i have been saveing so got abit more money now.

what size bottle do you recomend?

been looking on ebay and found this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PH-Controller-System-electrode-probe-BNC-CO2-Regulator-Timer-tetser-100-240V-/270813356008?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0dbbdfe8

will it fit standard co2 bottles in nz?

does anyone no if it will take months to get here?

will it run on nz power 240v?

thanks for any advice

• 1 month later...

I have brought the up regulator and ph controller off ebay and a 5kg bottle locally so what else do i need?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=468203972 mixer

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=468204205 hosing

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=468203802 non return valve

thanks chris

I read somewhere that pH controllers aren't that useful for planted aquariums. Apparently, because they control the pH, they are no good for plants because they turn on and off according to the pH, not the CO2 content in the water. So from what I read they have no benefit for growing plants at all.

And look at Amano's tanks. He doesn't use them and he has the best tanks in the world :P

By the way this is just something I read ages ago on a plant forum. I have no idea how true this is, but just something to keep in mind and maybe do a bit of research on :)

I read somewhere that pH controllers aren't that useful for planted aquariums. Apparently, because they control the pH, they are no good for plants because they turn on and off according to the pH, not the CO2 content in the water. So from what I read they have no benefit for growing plants at all.

And look at Amano's tanks. He doesn't use them and he has the best tanks in the world :P

By the way this is just something I read ages ago on a plant forum. I have no idea how true this is, but just something to keep in mind and maybe do a bit of research on :)

Personally I would consider the use of a ph controller is for the health of the fish not the plants. Co2 lowers the ph.

yea i brought the ph controller for the fish trying to keep ph steady. Iv just added crushed shell to bring ph up because it was getting down as low 4 so ph is now 6.5 and climbing slowly co2 should switch on and off to keep it at 6.2 when i get it running

i have brought all the parts mentioned so hopefully it will be set up this weekend

questions

does the bubble counter come full or do i just put water in it?

do i put the one way valve b4 the bubble counter after the reg?

what bubble rate should i start with?

All i have growing at the moment is cript and some other plant i dont no the name of. I would like to get a java fern or moss wall going but they always seem to die

yea i brought the ph controller for the fish trying to keep ph steady. Iv just added crushed shell to bring ph up because it was getting down as low 4 so ph is now 6.5 and climbing slowly co2 should switch on and off to keep it at 6.2 when i get it running

i have brought all the parts mentioned so hopefully it will be set up this weekend

questions

does the bubble counter come full or do i just put water in it?

do i put the one way valve b4 the bubble counter after the reg?

what bubble rate should i start with?

All i have growing at the moment is cript and some other plant i dont no the name of. I would like to get a java fern or moss wall going but they always seem to die

I have never ran a PH controller before so I couldn't comment on how that all works, or what implications it will have on the CO2 and your plants. All I know is there not really used much by all the big name plant geeks so there must be a reason why?

With regards to the counter, I had to add water to mine, and its one of the ones that mounts directly onto the regulator so it went in before the one way valve.

As for bubble rate, I don't pay much attention to it as I have a drop checker. Basically (if you have fish in the tank) what I do is start off with slow bubble rate then turn it up as you go until you reach the correct colour on the drop checker. I find the bubbles per minute method to unreliable as it doesn't take into account the size of your tank.

You will obviously want to up whatever ferts you are added to the water column as you do this.

Hope this helps