nitrate question

Sophia

I am missing something vital here.... in the breeding tank where I just meth-blued to zap any fungus the nitrate has gone quite high within the week. It's 10ppm+ which I believe isn't too bad but for it to get there in a few days would not be pleasant for my fish, who incidentally was flashing about and not eating.

Anyway, I changed 8 out 22 litres but the nitrate level didn't go down. I would have thought that putting fresh water in would give her some relief.

Luckily I had another tank next door with no nitrate reading so I put her in there instead.

10ppm is quite low. And changing out 35-40% of your water should of bought it down. Could be just misreading the subtle difference between 5-10ppm. Did you have the two tests side to compare? i would not think a nitrate reading like that would be causing your fish to flash, would think it would be another stress.

it had been 0 a few days before though :dunno:

I didn't have the 2 tests side by side, should have done.

I didn't understand properly till after I'd meth blued the tank that the nitrifying bacteria would die so I presume that is the result of the spike. If I had realised I would have tested the water during the week.

Hopefully she will improve overnight. She wasn't flashing much and certainly not when I visited her just now after a spell in the other tank.

In the nitratey tank I've dumped a load of moss, that should bring the level down again shouldn't it?

Tested my tap water this morning and it's 10ppm.

Tank 1 (original place of fish) is 10-20 - closer to 20

Tank 2 (new place) is 20

Ammonia in both is between 0 and 0.25.

Funnily enough the fish seems more perky today in the 2nd tank and is interested in food again.

The meth blue colour has mostly disappated - would it still alter the tests? I don't know if I am looking for the colour affecting the colour or the effect affecting the colour.