canister or sump

beets

Cannister filters are great, I use them.

Sumps are what the experts use. Makes everything easier and tidier, as you can hide heaters etc in the sump. Less clutter in the tank, and you can do water changes a lot easier. You need to make sure that you have the overflows in the right place to prevent an indoor swimming pool, but it's not exactly rocket science.

The only reason I'm not using a sump is because I'm still learning, and Canister Filters are great for beginners who aren't too keen on doing their own plumbing (drilling glass, setting up powerhead, etc)

I would say, enlist the help of an expert (lots of them on this forum), do some research and get a sump/ canister combo. I love my sump because it can hold sooooo much media (I have about 7-8kg of bio-media in mine) and it also hides the heaters. I also run an FX-5 alongside it for bio-filtration mostly, but it also does a great job on mechanical. The great thing about this set-up as well is that any floating particles are filtered by the overflow into the sump while the particles lower in the tank are filtered by the FX-5.

After flooding your living room once or twice, a sump really isn't that hard.. :wink:

a canister is an easier thing to set up but a sump will give you more filtration. it just depends on how much effort you want to put in and what you want to spend. a clever design will also make a sump into a holding tank which could be useful.

yeah I have workd my sumps as a minimum of 10% of the tank.

but if it is bigger say as big as you can fit in your stand you can have all your "workings" at one end and use teh rest to hold other things like fry or plants.

The benifit is you have a bigger water volume so more stable chemistry and you are kind of running 2 tansk in one

Also makes water changes much easier

HTH

i have done a bit of googling but cant find anything about how big the sump needs to be.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?29-Setup-and-Filtration

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?337-DIY-Filters

There is an absolute wealth of information about building and designing filtration in those two forums. As to how big it needs to be, the most obvious consideration is the need to be able to hold the "skim" (the water above the pump that will drain into the sump when the power is switched off).