Banned Species

Sheepsnana

Hey all, The wife and I went for a drive to a local river (looking for driftwood) and noticed some little fish swimming around some oxygen weed.

There were two different kinds, and both appear to be on the banned list. http://www.fnzas.org.nz/?p=723http://www.fnzas.org.nz/?p=2698

Before I call DOC, and make myself look stupid, are there any oxygen weed species that are not banned?

I can help you ID them, just need some good descriptions or pics to confirm the ID. Basically, Look at the strem where the leaves join. Are the leaves in a rosette around the stem or are they staggered around the stem.?

If they are in a rosette them you are pretty much safe as its Elodea canadensis, if not them its likely to be the unwanted ones. As mentioned, it is probably already known that it exists in that location, and if the chance of it spreading downsteam are less likely then it probably is not a priority to clear. If risk of further distribution is high then report it immediately. Increased risk depends on how far up tributaries the location is. Near the sea then it is unlikely to spread much further downstream.

I can help you ID them, just need some good descriptions or pics to confirm the ID. Basically, Look at the strem where the leaves join. Are the leaves in a rosette around the stem or are they staggered around the stem.?

If they are in a rosette them you are pretty much safe as its Elodea canadensis, if not them its likely to be the unwanted ones. As mentioned, it is probably already known that it exists in that location, and if the chance of it spreading downsteam are less likely then it probably is not a priority to clear. If risk of further distribution is high then report it immediately. Increased risk depends on how far up tributaries the location is. Near the sea then it is unlikely to spread much further downstream.

It's just a little way up the river mouth, next to the boat ramp, so I would say almost no chance of further contamination, but that's not really the point.

I'll rest easier letting MAF decide if it's important or not.

It's just a little way up the river mouth, next to the boat ramp, so I would say almost no chance of further contamination, but that's not really the point.

Fair enough. Got any photos of the offending plant?

Nope. I knew if I was to get a photo, I would need a reference item to show how big it was. Then they MIGHT (unlikely, but Still...) track me down and pay me a "visit"... It's easier to give them an anonymous tip like "hey go check out the Kaituna River".

If they weren't so sensitive about the "IT IS ILLEGAL TO POSSES OR COLLECT IT." then I would be more inclined to get them photographic proof. Otherwise, it's not worth getting my feet wet :sml2:

/end crazy paranoia :sml2:

If it's next to the boat ramp it might get spread by boaties - maybe they would like to know? Might be how it got there in the first place, too :dunno:

• 2 weeks later...