Guide: Creating public native aquaria

Stella

I have finally finished and uploaded my guide to creating public native aquaria, 'Taking the Fish to the People'. It is intended as an 'add-on' to my book, focused on public displays.

While not many here get to create public aquaria, it can also be used for planning your own awesome tanks ;)

http://massey.academia.edu/StellaMcQueen/Books/1469795/Taking_the_Fish_to_the_People_-_a_guide_to_creating_successful_public_native_aquaria

Ah yes, I ought to make a separate sticky on that too.

A bit further research and observations and I think 7ppt is better.

3ppt DOES work, but it works slower, giving the freeswimmers longer to find a fish to latch on to (at which point they are safe).

7ppt works faster, pretty killing freeswimmers before they have freely swum for very long, dramatically reducing the chances of them finding a fish in time. This means the spots you see on the fish when you start treatment are usually the last spots you will see, whereas with the 3ppt you will get several more cycles.

I have used 7ppt treatments on bullies, all kokopu, smelt, inanga, dwarf galaxias.

As always, this is based on my experience with a few individuals (er, well... 30+ bullies and 64 dwarf galaxias)

(good spotting! It is so cool seeing how much you guys are retaining what I said in my book, I barely need to answer questions now, I have Knowledgable Minions! ;)

BTW, to save people having to use calculators, you can put this into the google search field

90cm x 35cm x 15cm

and it will return the result in liters for you. It's currently a bit too much to ask them to return litres!

You can use * instead of x, but the important thing the parser needs is to have a space around the multiplication operator.

• 2 years later...

Is your book available as an ebook? :thup: I'm thinking of keeping and breeding natives (eventually working my way up to more endangered species) - going to be a while away but you seem like quite the expert in the area!