FW Puffer

jamosfish

First, you'll need to narrow it down, what species are you talking about? Is it actually freshwater? Is it brackish? Is it freshwater when young and brackish when older? I believe brazillian puffers are the only true freshwater ones available in NZ, but there are a lot of brackish puffers sold as freshwater.

Are the community safe? etc?

cheers

Short story: No.

Long story: Maybe a little but no.

Puffers are deffinetly not a community fish, especially fresh water ones. They have been found in some cases to be able to live with shrimp and ottos but mine I used to have ate anything I dared put into their tank. I think the longest my one otto lived was till night time, and it could be, because I stood infront of the tank monitoring them all day long. The whole fish just dissapears over night, no bones, tailfins nothing is left :o Be very wary of brackish puffers as they tend to end up being completely marine saltwater puffers by adult stage. Puffers are known to have nipped and killed fish more than twice their sizes, so once again they are deffinetly NOT community :wink:

i have a amazon puffer (Colomesus asellus) in with apistoes and rasboras however you won't find them in NZ anymore, from what i hear these guys are the exception to the rule of puffers having no tank mates.

IMG_7830.jpg

I've had 4 total of them. They're not the exception. They're just not as bad as most. They will, still, quite happily bite out small fishes throats, bite off their tails, etc.

What do you mean you won't find them in NZ anymore?