Barclaya longifolia en mass

kiwiplymouth

Over a year ago I threw a heap of Barclaya seeds into a tank to see if could propagate them.

After six months nothing had happened and I promptly forgot about them.

A couple of months ago they all decided to germinate and even after moving 30 or more to other tanks and selling a similar amount I still have a barclaya forest :D

barclaya.jpg

Was so impressed with your skills and success KP, that I had a good look at my Red Barclaya and Green Barclaya and noticed they both have a single flowerspike! The Red Barclaya was only a small pup that I got in Nov/Dec last year, so I am surprised at the flower spike so soon.

Will be interesting to see if the spikes will reach the surface, half a metre away.

Once the mature plant flowers, it will die off. If you just leave it, it will come back again in a few months (at about the same time that the seed begin to sprout).

Thanks Jen. Will removing the flower stem prevent dieback of the parent plant? As you know, this tank has only been set up since November, I don't really want my nice Red Barclaya disappearing this soon!

Thanks

Thanks Jen. Will removing the flower stem prevent dieback of the parent plant? As you know, this tank has only been set up since November, I don't really want my nice Red Barclaya disappearing this soon!

Thanks

It seems to be working for me to remove the flower stalks. The plants don't seem to be dying off and when the rhizome is big enough, it divides into oodles of pups. It seems reasonable to assume that the mature plant should be much better able to handle the dieback when they have a larger rhizome to live off when they are dormant so allowing it to develop more and collect more nutrients before flowering may be a benefit in the long run. No idea if I am on the right track there or not! :dunno:

It seems to be working for me to remove the flower stalks. The plants don't seem to be dying off and when the rhizome is big enough, it divides into oodles of pups. It seems reasonable to assume that the mature plant should be much better able to handle the dieback when they have a larger rhizome to live off when they are dormant so allowing it to develop more and collect more nutrients before flowering may be a benefit in the long run. No idea if I am on the right track there or not! :dunno:

Thanks Jen.