babies!

melrick1

So Sunday night we had a honey gourmi spawn and this morning we have a mini swarm of super small babies chilling in their floating tank, very cool.

Got them off my friend and he would just feed them powder food from hatching so was going to give it a go.

Anything else I can do? I don’t have time for bbs.

Will try and get some pictures tonight :happy2:

If you have access to transfusion equipment it is very useful. Use a small pilot light to get them feeding around the clock and set up an automatic drip feeder to put in green water 24/7. drop the water level and make sure the air above is warm and moist (a lot easier in a fish house where the room is heated.

• 4 weeks later...

Few questions from me too -

I also have some dwarf gourami babies (Colisa lalia) that have been free swimming for 2 days. I don't have any infusoria, but have been using liquid fry food - a few drops 2-3x per day. No idea if they are eating it tho, and worry that I am just polluting the water. I have a big bunch of xmas moss and lots of java fern and stargrass in there tho, would that house some micro-greeblies they can feed on?

I've read you can feed frozen rotifers but am wary of not polluting the water too much as I can't really target them, they are all over a 60/30/30 tank.

Is it worth trying the rotifers? How long until they will be big enough to eat microworms or bbs? Also when should I do a water change? these guys are so microscopic they would be hard to spot in the bucket if I siphoned them up...

thanks in advance :)

It is a hard balance between feeding them enough and poluting the water. If you look at the numbers that hatch you can see that the potential is there for a lot of fish. The problem with gouramis is that they seem to grow at different rates no matter how well you feed them so you will need to seperate them out by size regularly if you want to get a few through rather than a couple of big fat ones.