Water Change Question

amtiskaw

In summer, I do 50% water changes weekly, siphoning out into 20L buckets (which go on the garden) then I fill up with the garden hose - no dechlorinator - I don't add anything. The water temp drops from 27 down to 23 but rises back to 27 within an hour or so. I use to be fussy with water changes, adding stress zyme and getting the water temp just right, but I have found all this extra effort to be unnecessary. Lugging 20L buckets of water around gets tedious quickly!

Winter is a different story as the water temp out of the tap or hose is a few degrees colder. Because of this, I reduce my water changes to around 30% and increase their frequency.

Oh, by the way, I keep africans and they are known to be hardy especially with temp changes so maybe not recommended on other fish families/species and I have yet to have a disease or stress related death.

I have a 200 litre drum that feeds pure tap water, untreated, unaerated directly into my 1200LItre and my 600litre.

i have been doing this for 3 years now, maybe more. i first tried it out with one tank and no adverse effect.

My resevoir is the okura resevoir by east coast road, best check 'watercare' for the test specs on your supply, they will have it availab eand do regular tests, you can see that water is usually very good, but if you are from rural perhaps its different.

maybe try a small tank - with some tetras, goldfish, bns, and use pure tap water direct.....

i bet you will be pleasantly suprised that you can save money on water agers

Water varies around the country and even in the same district with some plants adding chlorine and others not. It is said that if you add 10% water, then even if chlorinated, it doesn't matter. What you are trying to avoid is to knock off your biological filter. In Wgton the water stinks of chlorine where I am. I leave it for 24 hours until the chlorine smell goes and then use it. If I don't have the luxury of leaving it, I use a dechlorinator.

Fortunately we have no evidence it does any such thing. It does however pass thru gills and combine with haemoglobin forming small amounts of methaemoglobin.

the ‘Estimated No-Effects Value’ (ENEV) for chloramine is 0.0056 mg/L for freshwater organisms and 0.0028 mg/L for marine and estuarine organisms.