Is this blue-green algae growing on my moss?

WillskE

I've been having trouble with this type of algae: It's green, looks like spider webs, It only grows in webs like spider webs, and its only in the java moss.

how do i get rid of it?

Only way I manged when I had a tank being smothered by it was dosing with E from a friendly drug dealer.

I get a tiny amount of that stuff along the far bottom edge of the CPD tank behind the dwarf chain sword and mingled in with the top edge of the gravel where there is very little circulation. I scrape it off every now and again and suck it out with a dropper and somehow it doesn't get any worse or grow elsewhere. It's like a very dark blue/green. I thought it might be cyano.

Only way I manged when I had a tank being smothered by it was dosing with E from a friendly drug dealer.

You must be pretty scary if a drug dealer was nice to you :gigl:

I too am havibg issues with cynobacteria in my tank, on the driftwood mostly. Is there another way to help solve it, I don't want to dose the tank.

ie what are the underlying causes?

me too

I don't want to dose the tank.

Then you would have to physically remove all the affected plants and gravel and clean like crazy otherwise it will grow back again.

Is there a reason you dont want to dose the tank other than not wanting to use chemicals?

It can often be caused by too much phospate. Plants need phoshate but if you make sure there is plenty of light, carbon, nitrate and micronutrients then the plants will take off and minimise the phosphate. Many sites suggest adding nitrate to get the balance better but I think making sure that phoshate is the limited factor in all the requirements is the safest. If you don't get the balance right it will come back even after you kill it with antibiotics. I lost a load of fish once by dosing with E. as It killed the bugs in the system and ended up with ammonia poisoning. I had used it previously without problems. Also if you cut out the lights you will still get it back if you don't get to the initial cause.

where does the phosphate come from? i dont dose anything that contains phosphate?

Here's the largest source of phosphates for most people:

1266687968VsEMii.jpg

Also a lot of PH adjusting chemicals have a lot, a lot of carbons and it's a byproduct of rotting plants and waste in general.

You can even add phosphates by putting your arm in the water with traces of soap residue.