Replacement Filters etc

FishyNoob

Hopefully I'm posting in the right place.

So I just set up my new (2nd hand) aquarium and the pump has stuff missing but I was able to quickly get it working to make sure the filter works - which it does, albeit FILTHY.. heres picture of the label on the pump - can I replace it with an aqua-one or something similar?

407317_10150546025562383_639707382_8646369_1520676839_n.jpg

also a short video of it working (it died at the end of the vid):

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150546029182383

Hi,

Yes, it's in the right place. I'm at work so I can't view the clip, but aquaone has several filters available if you're planning a straight swap rather than a fix and repair.

I'm using a Aqua One CF1200 for my 245L Tank, but it can handle up to 300L. Maybe the next size down, a Aqua One CF1000 would do the job? LFS (Local Fish Store) would be more than happy to help. HFF's (Hollywood Fish Farm) website also has a lot of good info.

Welcome to the forums :wave: Hope we can help.

Kind Regards,

Sheepsnana

Was that pump supposed to operate fully submersed? It has a venturi port on it which is out of the water so I'm guessing that it should be at least submerged below that ... and as it wasn't submerged, you blew the pump from being overheated.

Also I think you're supposed to have some mechanical filtration there, but you've only got ceramic noodles. Perhaps it needs some filter wool in the first box so that particulate matter does not quickly clog up the noodles.

I had the fittings etc submerged (cept where the bubbles come out) so it was running. Its decided to start going again, but the wee fan thing at the bottom has a cover which is supposed to attach the pipe and that doesnt go in properly, so i'm going to replace the whole thing.

Yep, it does need filter wool, a friend said thats all it needed (plus mat underneath) - I havent got that far yet :P can one use polyester wool like the stuff that goes into cushions etc or does it HAVE to be a mat? i also need the charcoal mat for underneath. Once it was working again, water was coming out of the tube over the noodles nicely. I'm sure it has other things missing tho, so perhaps a whole replacement of pump and filtration system might be the way to go.. plus its so clogged up with god knows what.

I was thinking of an external, but I think I'll keep it to an internal to stop fingers from fiddling with things they shouldnt (I have 2 small people in the house).

Filter wool from the LFS is cheap enough .. why take risks for a few cents savings?

Yours is an external filter ... not internal. I think it's called a trickle filter http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filter_%28aquarium%29#Trickle_filters and there should be some baffles in it to force the water through the system and to minimize bypass. The trickling of water onto the filtration media maximizes the oxygen exposure.

You don't need carbon ... unless you're filtering out chemicals.