interested in nano marine

herperjosh

Hello i was in organism the other day and i have been looking at nano mariness for a while and they have one for sale which i can afford. I was just wondering are nanos really suitable for people just entering into marines this one was 22 litres and came with live rock and lights and all that or are bigger tanks kind of required for beginers?

Hello i was in organism the other day and i have been looking at nano mariness for a while and they have one for sale which i can afford. I was just wondering are nanos really suitable for people just entering into marines this one was 22 litres and came with live rock and lights and all that or are bigger tanks kind of required for beginers?

i have a 34l Aqua One Ar-380 which is a good one to use as you can use Purigen in the top filter..

how much is the setup in Organism's and what does it come with ?? :thup:

i have a 34l Aqua One Ar-380 which is a good one to use as you can use Purigen in the top filter..

how much is the setup in Organism's and what does it come with ?? :thup:

its is 399 and it comes with purigen live rock,heater,filter,,sand i can't remember the rest

the key thing with marines is to keep everything constant which means checking levels a lot. If you're happy doing this, and correcting any anomalies, then a salt water tank is a piece of cake.

First figure out where you're going to get new salt water every week for 10% or so water change. Then go for it.

I was also very interested in starting a small marine but was adviced by marine tank keepers that the minimum size should really be about 200 litres, as it will be more stable and temps won't raise too high in the summer. So guess I am just repeating their advice to you, have a think about it :wink:

I was also very interested in starting a small marine but was adviced by marine tank keepers that the minimum size should really be about 200 litres, as it will be more stable and temps won't raise too high in the summer. So guess I am just repeating their advice to you, have a think about it :wink:

Why is a nano marine so much more difficult than a nano freshwater/tropical? People always say small tanks are harder to control than larger ones.

Also Mcrudd, you were looking at a native tank, if you went tropical the temperature rising wouldn't be as much of a problem, if at all. Tropicals are expensive but.

Also Mcrudd, you were looking at a native tank, if you went tropical the temperature rising wouldn't be as much of a problem, if at all. Tropicals are expensive but.

It was Marine Sophia :wink:

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=56094

For Native I wanted to start a pond, because I really did not want to get rid of my current big tank

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=56281

well i think if reptilez can do it i can do it. The nano at organism comes with a chiler i think. I found changing 10% of a 200 litre fish tank took forever and used heaps of water and changing 10% of water on a small nano won't be hard and i like checking levels so ill give it a go

well i think if reptilez can do it i can do it. The nano at organism comes with a chiler i think. I found changing 10% of a 200 litre fish tank took forever and used heaps of water and changing 10% of water on a small nano won't be hard and i like checking levels so ill give it a go

wow ! if it comes with a chiller at $399 that is one damn good deal :happy1:

change 5% water per week :thup:

did 20 litre water change on your 200l take forever ? wow !

I honestly don't think it's as hard as people to make out to be. Heapsssss of people have tanks under 100L with happy clownfish and other hardy fish/corals. Personally I would try to benchmark 50L at minimum but that'd just be my preference

the tank at organism dosent come with a skimmer, they are best suited to a cool area in a house or an air conditioned room you will have limited sucess with a fan trying to keep that cool.

i agree its not too hard just keeping up with water changes really but you will eventually want something bigger and the cost of running a small marine is quite deceptive also

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?t=327877

That's a thread about a smaller Boyu tank, the 450TL. Haven't looked into the larger sorry. As far as I know, and what I've been told by people selling them is that they're pretty average. I don't think they look bad at all.

Look around on Youtube and other Reef forums, I think Boyus are fairly common

The issue with Nano, is that there is less water to buffer against changes in levels (pH, Temp, KH, GH, salinity, NO2/3, NH4,etc) and with marine there are alot of other factors that you have to consider in this. Once you get over 200L and even more so after 300 or 400L, the tank becomes almost becomes self-sustaining...

Also consider that with a nano, your going to be relying on water changes for export of these nutrients to prevent algae outbreak, unless you have a algae scrubber or a large refugium with macro algae. also consider whether you'll use Natural sea water (NSW) or Artificial (ASW, the likes of red-sea pro).

Natural sea water is easy to get, easy to store, but you run the risk of what is in the water when you collect it (usually at high tide, when the water is at its cleanest). ASW means that you may have to buy extra nutrients to add to the tank (usually trace elements like strontium and boron) ad the associated test kits so you don't over-do it... NSW is my preference, as it is for a lot of locals in the bay, as it already has these trace elements in the right amounts.

To be honest, by the time you've bought all the gear for the nano, skimmer, filters, live-rock, sump etc, there really isn't going to be much of a jump to a decent size tank that is going to give you more stability. And, if you collect NSW, it makes the cost a lot less, just need a few decent water containers.

If you are dead-set on Nano, go for the biggest sump you can fit/afford to allow you the extra water.

HTH :thup:

The issue with Nano, is that there is less water to buffer against changes in levels (pH, Temp, KH, GH, salinity, NO2/3, NH4,etc) and with marine there are alot of other factors that you have to consider in this. Once you get over 200L and even more so after 300 or 400L, the tank becomes almost becomes self-sustaining...

Also consider that with a nano, your going to be relying on water changes for export of these nutrients to prevent algae outbreak, unless you have a algae scrubber or a large refugium with macro algae. also consider whether you'll use Natural sea water (NSW) or Artificial (ASW, the likes of red-sea pro).

Natural sea water is easy to get, easy to store, but you run the risk of what is in the water when you collect it (usually at high tide, when the water is at its cleanest). ASW means that you may have to buy extra nutrients to add to the tank (usually trace elements like strontium and boron) ad the associated test kits so you don't over-do it... NSW is my preference, as it is for a lot of locals in the bay, as it already has these trace elements in the right amounts.

To be honest, by the time you've bought all the gear for the nano, skimmer, filters, live-rock, sump etc, there really isn't going to be much of a jump to a decent size tank that is going to give you more stability. And, if you collect NSW, it makes the cost a lot less, just need a few decent water containers.

If you are dead-set on Nano, go for the biggest sump you can fit/afford to allow you the extra water.

HTH :thup:

with a nano and regular water changes using ASW wont be a problem as your regular water changes will be topping up trace elements

but very true about cost and equipment if you decide to go nao buy equipment that is overkill for the tank as you will regret buying small stuff later on