Sea monkeys (Artemia NYOS)

aquariumbeginner32

I don't know... I thought it would be easier. I have no idea how to breed brine shrimp and with the kits they provide everything you need. I also thought it might be cheaper to buy a kit rather than buy all the stuff you need to do it on your own..... ? :dunno:

I just thought it would be interesting. Plus on the bottle of liquid fry food I have it says to only use it for a couple of days on its own and then supplement with brine shrimp.

The platy fry seem to be growing very slowly. They haven't gotten much bigger than they were when they were born and they are a month old now :dunno: I thought maybe they weren't getting enough nutrients from the liquifry and flakes....

The sea monkey kits don't even come with/use salt :dunno: It's just the water and water purifier :dunno: I had a look on the sea monkeys website.

And they don't say you need a pump, air stone or anything else.... just water, water purifier and food.

The platy fry seem to be growing very slowly. They haven't gotten much bigger than they were when they were born and they are a month old now :dunno: I thought maybe they weren't getting enough nutrients from the liquifry and flakes....

The sea monkey kits don't even come with/use salt :dunno: It's just the water and water purifier :dunno: I had a look on the sea monkeys website.

And they don't say you need a pump, air stone or anything else.... just water, water purifier and food.

I have kept them before..i think that the water purifier has salt in it :thup:

This is from the Sea Monkeys NZ website.... whether the info is correct or not :dunno:

What are they? Sea-Monkeys are a hybrid species of brine shrimp called "Artemia NYOS". "Artemia" is the genus they belong to, which includes Fairy and Brine shrimp. NYOS is the acronym for the New York Ocean Science Laboratories where they were created.

A person in a pet store insisted that Sea-Monkeys are just brine shrimp? The person in the pet store should visit this website.

How are Sea-Monkeys different from brine shrimp?

There are several differences. Sea-Monkeys grow much larger (up to .5" long) and live longer than ordinary brine shrimp. They are also a lot more active and can be taught to perform "tricks", unlike ordinary brine shrimp.

Can you find Sea-Monkeys in the sea? Don't brine shrimp live in the ocean? No, you will only find them in your Instant Life packet and Sea-Monkey tank! Brine shrimp live in salt lakes and salt flats, but your Sea-Monkeys are not brine shrimp. They belong to the same genus, "Artemia", but are completely different animals.

How big can they get? They can grow between 1/2" and 3/4" long!

They aren't completely different animals, I mean they are from the same species for crying out loud! Ok so there is homo erectus and homo sapien, there are differences but they are similar , but if you compare them to say a fish they are entirely different animals then. :dead%fish

If you are after good quality food for fry I just bought some 0-50 micron and 50-100 sized Golden Pearls from Dorl on TM and all my little fish like them. They are apparently high in protein so good for raising fry. You can get the 0-50 for the newborns and bigger stuff for the older ones. I find that I probably could have bought the 50-100 only as the difference in size isn't really obvious to the naked eye. Also you get a small medicine pot full for about $6 and it lasts forever as you don't even need a pinch worth.

Forget brine shrimp for platies and load them up on microworms and crushed flake. That's all I feed mine and they're pretty huge now at 2 months. A month ago I thought they weren't growing much but I find after 4-6 weeks they have a huge growth spurt!

Thanks guys. I haven't heard of microworms. I was going to try feeding them some bloodworms but thought they would be too big? The ones that were born 4 1/2 weeks ago are bigger than they were. So I guess it's just a slow process and since I see them every day I don't notice the difference in size. It's like babies lol Mothers don't really notice every centimetre they grow because we see them every day KWIM?

I still have them in the breeding trap without the plastic separator thingee. I don't have another tank with a heater to put them in. I'm thinking about taking my chances and letting them back into the tank with the other fish.... I have tiger barbs, platies (obviously lol), guppies, minnows, 1 molly and dwarf gourami. The fry are about 1cm long. There are 5 fry. I've got a rock and fake plants in there that they could hide in/under. :dunno:

They'll be alright in the breeding trap. It would be a shame to see them get chomped (potentially) in the big tank when you've been trying so hard to keep them alive.

Bloodworms will be too big whole. You could thaw them carefully and then cut them up with a razor and they will have a go at them but even in schraps they will be a bit big for them. Microworms are pretty cool, the only fish I had that wasn't so interested was the fighter and that's cause he couldn't see them properly I think. The bigger fish will dash into the blob as it hits the water and suck in mouthfuls before they start to disperse.