What type of discus is this?

si_sphinx

Close to but I do not think that is a wild type.

They have 8 bars which is about right, but colours seem too bright. Maybe they are crossed or tank bred over a period.

I also wondered about the colours and think that perhaps the lighting being used along with tanins in the tank may have something to do with the bright colouring.

Yes maybe lighting or a flash on the camera making them look more colourful, is thee any info on the fish on the site you got the photo off?

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=2927 this is the page.

So I would most likely have to have tannins in my tank water to get the fish looking anything like this possibly. I just like the blue border on the orange with the stripes. they are very nice fish.

Hi Si,

my pick would be wild type Royal Blue, and probably wild caught, although I won't hazard a guess as to locale! Despite most peoples belief that wild discus are 'boring' and 'plain', there are some absolutely stunning wild fish available....overseas.

Put the keywords 'Diskus Wildfänge' into google and look for fish labelled 'Royal Blue', and drool.......

I'm looking after a mates fish shed for a couple of weeks,and he's got several wild types,I don't know the first thing about them,but he will be back on Tuesday,and he can id pretty much any discus. He has ones that look to me like this,and they've fry for the last week.

He is actually up a creek in Colombia at the moment with his pal,Heiko Bleher. Cost a fortune,but man I can't wait to see the photos and videos. He's also bringing back 10 boxes of what they caught,and a few from the wholesalers. :happy1: :happy1:

• 1 month later...