November 24, 201114 yr comment_462699 Those with children should know the book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, by Eric Carle. I made this for my daughter's birthday tomorrow. I will post more pics tomorrow with her and the class with it, and the rest of the items required. My neighbour, Emma, came over and iced them for me as I am unable to do so due to my injury. She did a lovely job The book starts with an egg on a leaf, in the light of the moon. The sun comes up and a tiny caterpillar emerges and looks for food. On consecutive days, the caterpillar eats through a single red apple, two (green) pears, three (purple) plums, four strawberries, and five oranges, which takes us from Monday to Friday. Saturday: the caterpillar eats its way through many different foods: chocolate cake, ice-cream, a pickle, Swiss cheese, salami, a lollipop, cherry pie, a sausage, a cupcake, and a slice of watermelon. The caterpillar develops a tummy ache as a result of eating all this food. Sunday: the caterpillar eats through a single leaf, which makes the caterpillar feel better. The now big caterpillar forms a cocoon (since the titular character is not a moth larva, this is poetic license). On the final pages the caterpillar is now a 'beautiful' butterfly. I bought all the foods the caterpillar ate as well so, as she reads the story, we add the various items to the table. The only thing I couldn't find was a cherry pie so bought an apple crumble and will write 'cherry pie' on it. The kids will be none the wiser since they will not be eating it! The caterpillar is gluten free as one of the kids in her class requires this. The bright green icing is gluten free but we did not have enough icing for all so the rest of it is not gluten free. The cake, one of the things he eats on Saturday, is chocolate cake as another child in her class is autistic and only eats 5 foods - one of them is chocolate cake, so all dietary requirements have been met! :happy2: Report
November 24, 201114 yr comment_462712 *clap clap clap* I think we all know who the "Mum of the Year Award" goes to! Well done! Report
November 24, 201114 yr comment_462713 The now big caterpillar forms a cocoon (since the titular character is not a moth larva, this is poetic license). Last time I checked butterfly caterpillars also formed cocoons? The caterpillar is gluten free as one of the kids in her class requires this. Oh, bleah, you ruined it. Needs more glutens! Report
November 24, 201114 yr Author comment_462717 I think the author is American so perhaps he thinks their moths and butterflies are different? Actually made a gluten free and gluten full cake last year and the kids all preferred the gluten free. It was very tasty! Report
November 25, 201114 yr comment_462732 Those with children should know the book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, by Eric Carle. Not only those with children, but those that have been children.... most of us should know this book Awesome cake... I am impressed! Report
November 25, 201114 yr comment_462760 what a cool cake. Good idea making it with cupcakes too. I like threads about cake. Report
November 25, 201114 yr comment_462789 awesome job Caryl. I guess you'll be making a butterfly cake next year. A cocoon wouldn't be a very exciting cake Report
November 27, 201114 yr comment_462997 A cocoon wouldn't be a very exciting cake Aw I dunno about that... depends what she makes the gooey inside of the cocoon out of :rotf: Report
November 28, 201114 yr comment_463059 She could make it out of this recipe: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-1059850/Girdlebuster-pie.html?printingPage=true Probably not too good for little kids with the coffee and alcohol, but I am sure Caryl could find some 'guinea pigs' to try it... Report
November 28, 201114 yr Author comment_463061 Hmmm not sure I have ever seen coffee ice cream The chocolate cake I made as one of the foods the hungry caterpillar made his way through had mocha icing which used a Tbs of coffee granules Report
November 28, 201114 yr comment_463125 :thup: Wow that's awesome! I thought cocoons were what moths make and butterflies make Chrysalis'.... atleast that's what Monarch butterflies homes are called. :dunno: Report
November 28, 201114 yr comment_463129 http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/Abbysmum/birthday%20cakes/ I made this for my birthday last year. Report
November 28, 201114 yr Author comment_463161 You did a great job. What a pity you had to make your own cake though Report
November 29, 201114 yr comment_463234 You did a great job. What a pity you had to make your own cake though I wanted to! I LOVE making and decorating cakes ) This year though, I didn't make one because I was just sooo busy and didn't have time. I just bought some coffee cake from Countdown lol The last 5 months have been really busy ones and I didn't even make my daughters birthday cake from scratch. I just bought a couple of rectangle sponges and iced and decorated them. But she still LOVED her cake. I've been making my own cakes since I was 17. One day I am going to do a cake decorating class. :thup: Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.