Confused baby Lep

alanmin4304

I spotted a baby leopard gecko with a bit of skin hanging from its face at age 4 days. It had been there for over a day and I thought it had not shed properly so I caught it to see what was going on. They don't start eating until they have shed at around 3 days but this was something hanging out of its mouth. I pulled to free it up since it had been there so long and I ended up pulling a piece of Sphagnum moss over 50mm long out of its gut.

As you might expect it got pretty vocal and I was consoling myself thinking it had been there that long and obviously could not pass it out of either end. I tried feeding it live food and it would not touch neonate locusts, baby mealworms or wax moth larvae until yesterday. Since it hatched 11/11/11 it had not fed for 12 days and I was getting worried. It pigged out yesterday and today so that is a good sign. Hope it keeps it up and puts on a bit of weight. It is the first one hatched that was incubated for males so I was keen to have it survive OK.

It is not only kids that can be obstinate lil darlins.

no substrate for babies,try vermiculite for damp box,easy on the mealwoorms,have heard of them eating there way out of baby leos gut as they dont have the crushing power to squish them.... :dunno: could be a rumor.

It's definately a rumor :) There is no way that mealworms can stay alive in a leo's stomach whether it has been crushed or not. In all my years of breeding I have never had a problem.

It is better to use as little substrate for babies as possible as they might eat it and get a bowel obstruction. Damp paper towels in the humid hide at this stage is best for babies.