Fish Shops/ Public Aquariums in Melbourne.

Li@m

Im going to Melbourne in a week and will have a fair bit of spare time and would like to go have a look at some Aussie fish stores/aquariums.

Can anyone recommend any or tell me of any?

Cheers.

(Would i be able to bring a bag of ADA aqua soil back into the country without any probs from the border ppl??

The public aquarium there is pretty cool.

I stumbled upon an awesome reptile shop near the markets, don't know it's name though... All I remember it was downstairs, across the road from the giant markets in the main city area.

The museum is worth a look if you like spiders and insects.

And inside the main central mall, it's worth going to that petshop in the evening, purely cos it's the only one open in the evening... to see the hermit crabs being all active and fun! Wish we could get them here.

Yeah I would love to have those Hermits myself. Was fascinated by them when I was in Aussie a few years ago.

The petshops sold painted shells for them too.

I was reading up on them and apparently painted shells aren't cool, ie if bits chip off then the crab eats it they can be poisoned.

But yes, I loved how the crabs all seemed to be wearing striped shells whereas the polka dot ones were all uninhabited... Crabs with fashion sense!

oooh lucky, Melbourne is great for fish shops and the aquarium.

I doubt you'd be able to bring ADA soil back into the country though.

Here are a couple of places I've been that I thought were good:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Subscape-Aquarium/165185040211176

This is the one bdspider mentioned:

http://www.facebook.com/upmarketaquariums

I would second Coburg Aquarium - very droolworthy.

Be careful at the Melbourne Aquarium, if they still have the ride thing, don't go on that if you want to go back and look at things, you can only exit through the gift shop once you have been on the ride.