Introducing a new bichir

brianT

I have three large Ornate bichirs in a large tank with lots of shelter. They have been together for some years and seem totally friendly. I have a chance to get another adult. Any thoughts on the possibility of fights if I introduce a new one?

I've never attempted what you are hoping to do, but in my experience, I've never seen my bichirs fight. I have an ornate that COULD literally swallow my delhezi and my albino in one sitting but doesn't. Very weird, but they rest on each other and hang out like mates. The ornate has no problem taking down other smaller fish though, just not its own kind. :nfs:

• 3 weeks later...

Those following this thread will be interested to know that it all went off without a hitch. In fact the new arrival knocked the lid off the polystyrene box and writhed his (or her) own way into the tank. Got tired of waiting I guess! And no subsequent problems at all.

They are weird creatures, aren't they? Behave more like dogs than any other fish I've had. Recently I saw a Borneo tiger snatch a bit of food from one of mine, and it waved it's fins in such apparent frustration and annoyance that I couldn't help laughing!