Death by implosion

Sophia

My breeding experiment came to a halt today when I found my last 2 female rasbora (maculatus) floating belly up. These 2 look like yesterday's casualty, their eyes are bulging and appear to have been bleeding, bodies a little fat but not too much different to what they usually look like. No pineconing or other obvious things that I know of. Do they look like any particular ailment you could put your finger on or just another slightly mysterious fish death?

001-6.jpg

Other details/incriminating evidence on me:

Tank was divided in 2 with 3 happy alert males on one side, females on the other in a floating 3 litre lunchbox with some plant cover. Females possibly a little subdued compared to the males who were swimming in the current, possible cause being fishy-unhappiness?

Ammonia and Nitrate both 0, pH, hardness, temperature etc all normal.

Presence of daphnia in the lunchbox with them. Can you overfeed on live food? They weren't dashing for the food when I was there, compared to the males who were. There were still daphnia left in there today, whereas the night before they were all gone.

I bought them on Sunday only, none of the ones in the shop had their usual orange colour, I put that down to the fact that they'd only arrived that week so hadn't settled in yet.

Looks like a case of Furan 2 use. Water change on the weekend with high chlorine. dosent pay to buy ill looking fish from shops just better to leave them their to dye or go back a week or 2 later to see if they are looking better.

one last test on the males tonight - gave them a truckload of daphnia for dinner so will see if that kills them. One of the problems of my divider used before is that holes were big enough to let a fish through, so have siliconed some mesh over the top of those so I can use it to seperate the fish without needing the box. However that brings a new problem of needing to find a way to cover the egg laying area so they can spawn and not be able to eat the eggs. I shall keep thinking :smln:

When I've seen them used the breeder removed the adults after spawning and let the eggs hatch amongst the marbles. They grew up in the same tank and were free swimming before the marbles were removed. This was in an otherwise bare bottom tank.

i was going to have them lay their eggs in java moss. I don't know if rasbora would like an essentially bare bottomed tank, that is sort of like what the breeding box was like. I will look into it though. Maybe a thin covering of moss over the marbles so they still fall through :-?

That is what I was trying for with the lunchbox and mesh bottom but it was about 15cm off the bottom of the tank so they probably felt too exposed.

do you know where to get a breeding box like that from? I haven't seen any in the shops and the only people I know who use them commercially get them from germany :facepalm:

I thought perhaps I could suspend some sort of net or use the leftover mesh somehow to do a similar job. I might be able to get one of those mesh breeding boxes and just use part of it... hmmm

thinking thinking....

monkey+scratching+chin.jpg

best breeding box for fish can be brought at the cheap shops. plastic baskets all shapes and sizes all different types of mesh size and shapes. $2-$3- each. if your fish dose not mind being in one great just add floats and a light cover or if your fish not like. Tip one up side down in the bottom and one floating on the top for when the young hatch and head for the light. really great for having on the tank floor in most tanks for young to hide also a few floating on top. pays to only feed live food with these in as to rotting fermenting of food under them.

Throw away them fancy drop boxs you pay $9-$12- for. Hahahahaha what a RIP OFF and your fish in them will fast deterioration and DIE. More then likely. Think of the little fishes.

best breeding box for fish can be brought at the cheap shops. plastic baskets all shapes and sizes all different types of mesh size and shapes. $2-$3- each. .

this is essentially what I had created with the lunchbox but the females died

never mind, am re-engineering as we speak :wink:

this is essentially what I had created with the lunchbox but the females died

never mind, am re-engineering as we speak :wink:

1 upside down on the bottom and 1 floating.

The fish SWIM FREE.

works great for all breeds as the young can hide inside till they get bigger. 400mm X 310mm x 100Depth works great in a 300 X 600 - 610 tank might have to saw off the long side lip on plastic basket for the upside down basket on the bottom.

when the young are eating processed food they will keep all clean under the baskets.

also great for making walls with also. silicon and stone them up moss them up etc.