Hi extreme new comer here

emmad

We have just dug out an old sandpit and are in the process of converting it to a fishpond. Completely new to the idea and telling my partner what to do can be problematic sometimes :facepalm:

The area is approx 1.3m by 1.8m and about 25cm deep. I suspect is too shallow but having trouble convincing my partner it needs a deeper area. Planning on getting a solar water fountain thing to help circulate water. What plants would be good? Is there anything else we need to get to help things along? Do we need to put something in the water prior to putting in fish and plants?

Thanks for any help and suggestions

Emma

Hi and Welcome :wave:

I beleive the pond is too shallow and will heat up and cool down rapidly, this can stress fish. A deeper pond would be more beneficial. I'm thinking 50cm+. It depends on how much light the pond will get also.

Acorus is a good bog, marginal plant. Asthetically pleasing IMO.

Or you can add oxygen weed, duck weed or any other cold water plants. These plants are easy to grow and have very little requirements. Or lilly pads? :thup:

Adding things before plants: if they are going in the water just chuck them in. I they are going around the pond maybe a fish safe fertilizer will help them grow. Maybe unecessary :dunno:

Adding things before fish: A chlorine remover is probably needed depending on which fish you wish to add (or you could use rain water which won't need a chlorine remover). A filter could be useful, especially if you would like to see the fish :slfg: . You may need to do some research on which type of fish you would like to keep. You could expand to frogs and other animals, but remember they all have certain requirements. :smln:

Hope you enjoy your time here,

Matt

Welcome.

I too think it will be too shallow, unless it is sheltered from the sun. Check with your local council as to maximum depth before fencing becomes a requirement. It is usually around 45cm.

Lilies need at least 45cm I think (most of them). My pond is full of oxygen weed I pulled from the river that runs through the middle of my town - free :wink:

Visit your local garden centre and see what they have in the way of aquatic, marginal and bog plants.

How are you converting the sand pit? What will the pond be made of? Concrete or liner?

If it is a liner, and you have no chlorine added to the water supply, it will be a case of fill 'er up, wait for the temp to settle (only takes 24 hours) add the plants and fish. Goldfish will be starting to spawn any time now and mid to late Dec onwards is the time to find young ones really cheap.

Thanks for your helpful suggestions. Will ensure (if I have to dig it myself) that we get some more depth to the pond. Is going to be done with a liner and the water is chlorinated here.

Need some river stones etc so will be on the look out for any rocky streams/creeks around Cambridge. If I can find one hopefully it will have oxygen weed as well.

Oh and also did a little research and came to the conclusion I'm best to go with goldfish of some variety (which is probably stating the obvious lol). Liked the look of the shubunkin's that I've seen meantioned around the place.

I'm sure you'll be able to get some oxygen weed and stones in the Waikato river.

Maybe you could look at native fish? I'm sure some people on here (like Stella) would be able to help you with this. They're not brightly colored like goldfish, but are quite unique.

Depening on where you're pond is, you could look at making a waterfall on some sort. I reckon that'd be cool :thup:

lol I dragged my man out tonight to show him where I reckon we could put one. Wasn't sure we would fix the rocks together but figured I'd worry about that later.

Thought about natives but initially at least think will stick with goldfish. I'm kinda hoping that my man will like the finished product and we could maybe do another later hehe :)

Hoping that cats won't be an issue due to having dogs.

So your talking about putting rocks in or out of the pond? Im assuming out as rocks may stretch or puncture the liner. You could stick them together with some high viscosity cement (lots of cement and little water). If you make the pond look nice, I'm sure he will like it. :thup:

Anyway cat+water=

1162259616246.jpg

There is a ledge around the outside and a fence about 10cms away from one side of the fence so was thinking I could layer up some stones from the ledge up to the fence a bit. Won't get very high maybe only 30-50cm but would add something extra to it I think. Once we find some stones I can have a play anyway.

Not sure about rocks around cambridge, but a trip my way and out to pirongia could be worth the effort for round-ish river rocks.

Dont worry too much about the chlorine in the water, if you let the water sit for a day or to to stabilise the temp most if not all of the chlorine will be gone

One option for fish for a small pond are white cloud minnows