Waterchange disaster

critter_crazy

I am SUCH an idiot!! :facepalm:

I've been battling some black beard algae for about a month now. Finally got fed up with it and just took out about 70% water from my 160L tank to give it a good scrub and re-plant it. Got it looking super clean and I was so pleased with the layout that I filled it up again without paying much attention. Went to have dinner and came back to a bunch of dead tetras and a dead dwarf chain loach &c:ry

I completely forgot to add my prime!! I added some as soon as I realised and am now waiting to see if my other fish make it :tears:

I don't add any primer to my water at all. Comes straight for the tap/hose at ph 7, haven't seen any problems. I'm on the North Shore though where everything is better :cofn:

Do you let the water sit for a while to allow the chlorine to disperse? Surely if the tap water got to your beneficial bacteria it would kill it all?

My brother kept fish for years, never using any products at water change :o , all good no losses.

I myself use prime, i think its not worth the risk :sage: , especially if they change the amount of chlorine added to town supply.

Sorry for your loss :cry: , bummer you forgot :facepalm: , maybe smaller water changes are ok(still not worth the risk) without using, just not larger ones.

Does sound a bit strange that this happend though :-?

I'm so sorry for your loss :( Don't beat yourself up though... I'm sure it happens to a lot of aquarists.

I agree ... I wouldn't risk putting tap water into my tanks/pond without putting at least Water Ager in the water. If I forget if I have added it to my bucket when I put fresh water in my tank I will add it still.... so sometimes I'm sure my fish have had extra Stress Coat in their water. It has never hurt them.

My brother kept fish for years, never using any products at water change :o , all good no losses.

I myself use prime, i think its not worth the risk :sage: , especially if they change the amount of chlorine added to town supply.

Sorry for your loss :cry: , bummer you forgot :facepalm: , maybe smaller water changes are ok(still not worth the risk) without using, just not larger ones.

Does sound a bit strange that this happend though :-?

I like your brother 40 tanks and I don't use any chlorine remover.. For my calvus I let water sit for all other fish it is straight from the hose..

I like your brother 40 tanks and I don't use any chlorine remover.. For my calvus I let water sit for all other fish it is straight from the hose..

Are you on tank water or town water? If on town water do you use a filter of some sort or literally from the hose like I could do in Howick(town water). I would not be game enough to try that :)