Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Obstacle's Nano Cube

Featured Replies

  • Author

Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate <5ppm, dKH 8.3. I'll get a calcium test kit tomorrow.

LA has freaked me out that I may be rushing into this. Everything seems happy and vibrant for now, any ideas what I should look out for in terms of unhappy anemone?

  • Replies 97
  • Views 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think just keeping the water parameters stable will be enough for now, regular testing etc. Maybe even daily for a while. Can't think of much else sorry

don't :nilly:

i like to take things slowly with marine

even though every thing was cycling before change over the change may cause a mini cycle again

as ethanyo has said keep an eye on your water parameters

and have enough water on hand for changes

anenomes can be fickle creatures at the best of times

  • Author
Dan, Zayne really wants some pics :sml2:

:spop: :spop:

Oh really? He's keeping quiet about it. Truth is I've got the lights set to come on during the day and pretty much fade out at the same time as the sun so when there's enough light for pics there's also too much backlight. I'll set the timer to go longer tomorrow night and take some pics then if I remember.

Thanks for the tips guys. I've got a nice warm bucket of fresh Takapuna sea water sitting right next to the tank in case I need it. I might try to do a few litres of water changes every day for a while just to be sure.

  • Author
don't :nilly:

i like to take things slowly with marine

even though every thing was cycling before change over the change may cause a mini cycle again

as ethanyo has said keep an eye on your water parameters

and have enough water on hand for changes

anenomes can be fickle creatures at the best of times

wouldn't you know it! I've got ammonia today :facepalm: It's only .5ppm but that's after a 20% water change. Should I dose with Prime to negate any ill effects or should I just keep up the water changes? I've kind of resigned myself to the fact that I screwed up going with this stocking as the first stock for the tank and that I may lose them but I'm over that and prepared to do whatever I can to make it work. Tips/suggestions/directions please :)

  • Author
what was the level in the water you used for change?

what is prime?

keep up water changes

I'm glad you asked because I hadn't thought to test. It's straight from Takapuna boat ramp so I assumed it'd be none but it's actually .5ppm as well. There's my problem! Damn it... It has been sitting for a few (5) days in a bucket in a dark cool room, clearly that doesn't work. I'll go and collect some more tomorrow if this rain stays away and I'll test it as soon as I get home to make sure it's clean and clear. Maybe that RO/DI unit needs to be a higher priority.

ever tried getting water from Cox's bay? There's a stream that goes up into Herne Bay so you could probably still get water at low tide, and not have to go over the bridge for it.

  • Author
ever tried getting water from Cox's bay? There's a stream that goes up into Herne Bay so you could probably still get water at low tide, and not have to go over the bridge for it.

I don't trust harbour water. Not really sure why but by the time it's flowed past the ships and waterfront I don't want to touch it. I was originally collecting from Waiake beach (Torbay) as it was further away from the harbour. I might go back there...

I'm glad you asked because I hadn't thought to test. It's straight from Takapuna boat ramp so I assumed it'd be none but it's actually .5ppm as well. There's my problem! Damn it... It has been sitting for a few (5) days in a bucket in a dark cool room, clearly that doesn't work. I'll go and collect some more tomorrow if this rain stays away and I'll test it as soon as I get home to make sure it's clean and clear. Maybe that RO/DI unit needs to be a higher priority.

Get a new test kit, never had nsw with ammonia, fresh or after weeks storage, esp from takapuna ramp .

  • Author

Get a new test kit, never had nsw with ammonia, fresh or after weeks storage, esp from takapuna ramp .

Yeah, that was the next option. I guess this one is a year old.

Find out where it is coming from, new kit, retest etc before adding any unneccesary additives.

Watch what you are told elsewhere, some should stick to facebook.

  • Author

New kit and new water collected today. Tank has .5ppm ammonia, new water has 0ppm ammonia so it's just a little cycle. I'll keep up daily water changes and hope it clears up in a day or 2. I compared my anemone to the same species at HFF Albany and they're both looking the same so I'm not worried that it's stressed or dying just yet.

  • Author

I have a question about photo period - is 12 hours too long to start with? My white lights are on from 8am-8pm with ramp up and down taking 4 hours each way. I'm wondering if this is too much light for now?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.