November 7, 201114 yr Author comment_460943 Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate <5ppm, dKH 8.3. I'll get a calcium test kit tomorrow. LA has freaked me out that I may be rushing into this. Everything seems happy and vibrant for now, any ideas what I should look out for in terms of unhappy anemone? Report
November 7, 201114 yr comment_460949 I think just keeping the water parameters stable will be enough for now, regular testing etc. Maybe even daily for a while. Can't think of much else sorry Report
November 7, 201114 yr comment_460950 don't :nilly: i like to take things slowly with marine even though every thing was cycling before change over the change may cause a mini cycle again as ethanyo has said keep an eye on your water parameters and have enough water on hand for changes anenomes can be fickle creatures at the best of times Report
November 7, 201114 yr comment_460983 Dan, Zayne really wants some pics :sml2: :spop: :spop: YES!!!! :digH: Report
November 7, 201114 yr Author comment_460995 Dan, Zayne really wants some pics :sml2: :spop: :spop: Oh really? He's keeping quiet about it. Truth is I've got the lights set to come on during the day and pretty much fade out at the same time as the sun so when there's enough light for pics there's also too much backlight. I'll set the timer to go longer tomorrow night and take some pics then if I remember. Thanks for the tips guys. I've got a nice warm bucket of fresh Takapuna sea water sitting right next to the tank in case I need it. I might try to do a few litres of water changes every day for a while just to be sure. Report
November 8, 201114 yr Author comment_461027 don't :nilly: i like to take things slowly with marine even though every thing was cycling before change over the change may cause a mini cycle again as ethanyo has said keep an eye on your water parameters and have enough water on hand for changes anenomes can be fickle creatures at the best of times wouldn't you know it! I've got ammonia today :facepalm: It's only .5ppm but that's after a 20% water change. Should I dose with Prime to negate any ill effects or should I just keep up the water changes? I've kind of resigned myself to the fact that I screwed up going with this stocking as the first stock for the tank and that I may lose them but I'm over that and prepared to do whatever I can to make it work. Tips/suggestions/directions please Report
November 8, 201114 yr comment_461030 what was the level in the water you used for change? what is prime? keep up water changes Report
November 8, 201114 yr Author comment_461044 what was the level in the water you used for change? what is prime? keep up water changes I'm glad you asked because I hadn't thought to test. It's straight from Takapuna boat ramp so I assumed it'd be none but it's actually .5ppm as well. There's my problem! Damn it... It has been sitting for a few (5) days in a bucket in a dark cool room, clearly that doesn't work. I'll go and collect some more tomorrow if this rain stays away and I'll test it as soon as I get home to make sure it's clean and clear. Maybe that RO/DI unit needs to be a higher priority. Report
November 8, 201114 yr comment_461050 ever tried getting water from Cox's bay? There's a stream that goes up into Herne Bay so you could probably still get water at low tide, and not have to go over the bridge for it. Report
November 8, 201114 yr Author comment_461053 ever tried getting water from Cox's bay? There's a stream that goes up into Herne Bay so you could probably still get water at low tide, and not have to go over the bridge for it. I don't trust harbour water. Not really sure why but by the time it's flowed past the ships and waterfront I don't want to touch it. I was originally collecting from Waiake beach (Torbay) as it was further away from the harbour. I might go back there... Report
November 8, 201114 yr Author comment_461057 that estuary is teeming with sealife though :dunno: Report
November 8, 201114 yr comment_461068 low tide is not a good time to collect It has been sitting for a few (5) days in a bucket in a dark cool room, planktonic life will have died off in that time, maybe giving you the ammonia Report
November 8, 201114 yr comment_461069 I'm glad you asked because I hadn't thought to test. It's straight from Takapuna boat ramp so I assumed it'd be none but it's actually .5ppm as well. There's my problem! Damn it... It has been sitting for a few (5) days in a bucket in a dark cool room, clearly that doesn't work. I'll go and collect some more tomorrow if this rain stays away and I'll test it as soon as I get home to make sure it's clean and clear. Maybe that RO/DI unit needs to be a higher priority. Get a new test kit, never had nsw with ammonia, fresh or after weeks storage, esp from takapuna ramp . Report
November 8, 201114 yr Author comment_461081 Get a new test kit, never had nsw with ammonia, fresh or after weeks storage, esp from takapuna ramp . Yeah, that was the next option. I guess this one is a year old. Report
November 8, 201114 yr comment_461098 Find out where it is coming from, new kit, retest etc before adding any unneccesary additives. Watch what you are told elsewhere, some should stick to facebook. Report
November 9, 201114 yr Author comment_461110 New kit and new water collected today. Tank has .5ppm ammonia, new water has 0ppm ammonia so it's just a little cycle. I'll keep up daily water changes and hope it clears up in a day or 2. I compared my anemone to the same species at HFF Albany and they're both looking the same so I'm not worried that it's stressed or dying just yet. Report
November 9, 201114 yr Author comment_461125 slightly higher priorities at the moment. will get some once I'm happy with the way the tank is going. Report
November 9, 201114 yr Author comment_461133 I have a question about photo period - is 12 hours too long to start with? My white lights are on from 8am-8pm with ramp up and down taking 4 hours each way. I'm wondering if this is too much light for now? Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.