'Sup

misnoma

Hey... this is the obligatory hello thread...

so I like those tropical fish things, long walks to the gas station, and watching paint dry :)

Have had a 4 ft tank for a while, and been keeping oscars. However as oscars do (I knew before getting em), they grow, so I've just got a 370 litre moulded glass tank which I have been setting up/moving fish into slowly.

http://nzdance.net/~misnoma/fishtank/index.html I like taking photos too :)

'tis good to see a NZ forum for these things.. I had been looking for a while and finally stumbled on this site through google the other day.

Hi Misnoma. Welcome to the fishroom :)

You came to the right place.

Choice looking tank you have there, and a great set of pics.

Couldn't see a styrene pad (that the tank is supposed to sit on)... anywhere in the pics. Hope you fitted one.

Look forward to seeing the next series of pics :)

Bill.

hrm... I'm quite prepared to be taught here... the tank came as a full kit (tank + stand, aqua one R2-150), and there wasn't a styrene pad with it. The shop I bought it off didn't mention it so I assumed (probably a stupid thing ;) ) that it wasn't needed with this tank.

If I do need one with this tank let me know and I'll sort it... don't really want accidents happening :)

*runs off to email shop as well to ask what the deal is

Welcome on board

From someone who has had experiance at having to repair broken bottoms (tank bases that is) I would strongly recommend that you get a polystyrene pad under your tank and your future ones that I'm sure you'll be getting.

Alan 104

I would strongly recommend that you get a polystyrene pad under your tank and your future ones that I'm sure you'll be getting.

I second that :)

Really nice how these firms are prepared to sell you hundreds of dollars worth of gear, but not prepared to tell you about the simple things that only cost a few bucks.. but are imperative towards the safety of the tank.

May as well clear up what this styrene pad does...

hrm... I'm quite prepared to be taught here... the tank came as a full kit (tank + stand, aqua one R2-150), and there wasn't a styrene pad with it. The shop I bought it off didn't mention it so I assumed (probably a stupid thing ) that it wasn't needed with this tank.

The pad basically allows the tank to settle evenly throughout its base.

It will also 'absorb' any 'slight' imperfections in the top of the stand or cabinet. It will also help to absorb any slight movement through shifting timbers from .. heavy foot traffic.. stomping kids etc.. or tremors and quakes if you are in these areas.

You have obviously spent a fair few bucks there, so once you have the styrene pad in position and the tank in place, you will need to borrow/beg/steal.. a builders spirit level (the longer the better).. and check that the tank is "ABSOLUTELY" level in all directions.

Now because the weight of the tank and water are going to compress this pad slightly... you need to fill the tank in stages, and at each stage check (and re-check) the level of the tank in all directions.

If you can't borrow/beg/ or steal a spirit level, then get a piece of thin card and place marks at 50mm intervals on one edge.

Use these marks as a reference as you fill the tank gradually.

Remember... It will be "impossible" to move once it has water in it :)

All the best, and hope it goes well.

Ask away if you are not sure :)

Bill.

yup - I have a spirit level, and did so on the filling... however I'm happy to empty/refill it if that is the case - new tank was to take the contents of old tank which is still running/cycled/has fish, so it's not a huge issue to do such a thing anyhows :)

So to add to that

Given this tank has a frame around it (as per the photos somewhat).. do I get a piece of polystyrene the size of the inside of the frame? or larger?

as I said - only reason I didn't for this tank (our other two have sheets under them) was that this came as an entire kit, and it was never mentioned.

yup, the uber night owl :)

The pads are normally to the standard tank sizes, but to clarify... it needs to be the exact size of the base of your tank, and for your size of tank, a 12mm thick pad or thicker should suffice.

They look a tad unsightly stuck under the tank, so you may want to paint the edges before you fit it :)

Bill.

unless it is a tank with a floating base where the rim takes the pressure and disperses it evenly to the glass base

make sure the polystyrene doesnt get pushed under the tank rim with those tanks or it will actually do you tank harm rather than good

Hi misnoma and welcome, I also have to say, a great set of pictures, and it lookslike the girlfriend will fit, but don't know if she would be happy sharing with the oscars :D

Plenty to be learnt here and you can join us in chat most nights from 9pm.

B