'Breeder' of turtles giving dodgy advice. Tauranga or tradem

BigBossPants

I work in a pet store and a customer came in today to get some things for his new turtle. He was informed by the breeder, who apparently "is one of the big breeders of turtles and has owned a few pet shops around here" that his red eared slider hatchling does not need heat or uv lighting. I was very concerned by this as Im sure you all will be, I hate to think how many people he has given this terrible advice to! At least the tank had a filter I guess

It makes me angry. :an!gry really angry :an!gry :an!gry you can't keep a baby RES in cold water, over winter with no uv light!!! UV is there for it to grow, well producing vit. D3 an then absorbing/metabolizing calcium!! You should've asked who the breeder was :P I wouldve given him an ear full(or email full) :an!gry :an!gry :an!gry :an!gry :an!gry :an!gry :an!gry :an!gry :an!gry :an!gry :an!gry :an!gry :an!gry :an!gry :an!gry RRRRRAAAAAAGGGGGEEEEE

better not tell that to the ones that hatched naturally and walked 20 or so metres through long grass to my unheated ,outdoor fishpond where they have lived ever since?or the eggs I never realised had been layed untill they emerged from their unheated nest the following spring?

Being born in that environment may have something to do with it, also the ground would stay fairly warm in comparison to an exposed tank. Yours will also be getting natural direct sunlight which I imagine would provide warmth.

This person is telling people to take baby turtles which are hatched in warm conditions and keep them in a cold tank without access essential uv rays. Quite a different scenario really.

Being born in that environment may have something to do with it, also the ground would stay fairly warm in comparison to an exposed tank. Yours will also be getting natural direct sunlight which I imagine would provide warmth.

This person is telling people to take baby turtles which are hatched in warm conditions and keep them in a cold tank without access essential uv rays. Quite a different scenario really.

+1 as a baby it's essential to have UVB so they don't get deformed shells and problems in the future.

Agreed.

Most pet shops but not all, there are a handful of ones which put animals wellbeing above profit. Too few tho.

This 'breeder' is advising one of the new local pet stores, when I informed them that their turtles needed a uv bulb and had what looked like the start of shellrot they fobbed me off. Likewise with keeping axies on bite sized stones. Their response was 'well weve done it for ages and theyre fine, plus so and so says its ok and he used to own pet shops.'

Apparently owning a pet store means you know stuff roflmfao.