Easiest way to cut s clay pot in half?

mcmillanm

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right section LOL but I've just bought a couple of clay pots that I want to cut in half and use as hidey holes for my loaches and cory cats.

Does anyone know the easiest way to do this without smashing them or using power tools?

I've heard that soaking them in water first can make it less messy?

Thanks

you mean terracotta pots? I gave mine to my husband, he took them away and brought them back in perfect halves ;) If you don't have anyone to delegate to, *I guess* you can do it yourself just using a hacksaw.

Wetting them just reduces the dust, they are actually quite easy to cut. Hardest part is holding them still.

Soak it in water, then use an angle grinder with a masonry disc on it. You will need ear muffs!

You can get a cheap and nasty grinder from M10 or Bunnings or the like if you don't have access to one.

:o

Depends how big your pot is I guess! Mine were only 9cm diameter pots. Hacksaw worked a treat. I also cut some little "doorways" in mine, and turned them upside down. Two cuts parallel and then snap off the little bit, if that makes sense.