where to fly rc plane

Fishie123

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought myself a 3.5 channel Gyro copter just for fun ( we sell them at work).

http://electus.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=12829&CATID=39&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=CAT&SUBCATID=336

I live opposite a huge sports park and I decided to see how high it would go.

I could not believe it when it got so high I couldnt see it. I had to slowly throttle back and hope it was comming down. Sure enough it can back as planned. Now I am looking online for a cheap light camera to attach to it just for fun.

Who said toys were for kids? :happy2:

Me and my mate have RC helicopters, you stick like drop boxes on them(controlled by a servo) and stick paint balls, bbs or water balloons in them...good fun. I reckon a boat would be mean, like a petrol one they go pretty quick

Now I am looking online for a cheap light camera to attach to it just for fun.

Who said toys were for kids? :happy2:

Si, I've been using the keychain cameras you can buy on Ebay. The low res ones are $12 USD and the full HD ones are $50 USD. They are tiny and light - perfect for RC.

This is me flying a glider at Raglan, trying to keep a mate's plane in shot (harder than it sounds) with the HD camera onboard

This is the low-res version on-board my 3 meter glider at Raglan. Gets a bit misty as it goes on because of salt spray building up on the lens :roll:

Check out this thread if you want more info on the cameras :)

try a six channel,you wont be laughing then...gas..it took me six months just

to hover,,after two years im just getting bave to fly upside down..thats get the blood

pump..or close to a heart a attack, :sick: :sage:

I got to the point where I can fly forwards, backwards, loops, flips and rolls, and basic inverted flight. but I gave up after that - it got too expensive having to keep replacing blades and gears when I started learning 3D :roll: I pretty much only fly slope gliders these days :bounce: The world record for gliders is 468 mph at the moment :o The world record videos are pretty hard to spot the plane in. This one only going 260 mph

but it gives you and idea of what dynamic soaring is all about. no motors, just gliders!

I got to see the #2 heli pilot in the world, and Curtis Youngblood, earlier this year in Hamilton at a club day. Seeing those guys throwing around 700 size helis was mind boggling. This sort of stuff

That P51 is a nice plane,looks great. I was at Flying Legends in Duxford last month,and was sad to see a real P51 'Big Beautiful Doll' destroyed in a crash,thankfully the pilot baled out in time,he was lucky,they were very low when he collided with a Skyraider.

Good luck with the flying,and let us know how you get on.

The best first sloper I recommend is the Fusion

EPP foam covered in fiberglass reinforced tape then coloured packing tape. They are almost indestructible and have a good wind range - just strap a 15 oz sinker on when the wind picks up. I've got a few slopers now, but I'd still replace my Fusion if I lost it. :D

Are they hard to fly? The Gliders

Nah, easy really. I've taught a few people and they usually pick it up in one session :) Check up parkflyers.org.nz if you want to hook up with some Aucklanders and have a look - they fly Mt Welly and Mangare. Mt Welly is good for DS - the fast circuit stuff the record holders do.

Yep to RC, but slopers are a friendly bunch and would be happy to show you what to do. The best way to learn is have someone with a trainer cable. You link to radios together with the cable, and if you lose control the instructor can take over with the flick of a switch. A mate of mine taught his 9 year old son how to fly that way.

All you need is a hill with a slope steeper than 60 degrees, and the wind straight on to the slope. The wind has to climb when it hits the hill, so it generates lift. You just throw the plane off the top. Landing is easier if there's a flat space behind the slope. The carbon and glass planes have flaps to slow them down for landing. Foamies, well you just aim for the ground and hope for the best... :thup:

What about these?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16542__Hobbyking_Bixler_EPO_1400mm_RTF_Mode_2_Throttle_Left_Radio_.html /quote]

That's a copy of the Multiplex Easystar, which is what I learned to fly planes with. It will slope with the motor off, but having the power available when you get into trouble is good. They aren't as tough as an EPP plane like the the Fusion, but they are fairly tough, and CA glue will fix most minor breaks.

If you're not sure if you want a glider or a powered plane, that's ideal - the best of both worlds. They are really forgiving to fly - the turned up wingtips make them really stable and it won't go into a spin if you stall it. :D

I took some (fairly crappy) video of a Magpie attacking my Easystar a couple of years ago

8)