Club in the Coromandel?

Does anyone know it there is or has been a club in the Coromandel? If not, I wouldn't mind having a go at setting one up. Not sure if anyone would join though! :slfg:

If you are interested in getting one going, post a comment. I'm in Whitianga.

There is no club in the Coromandel. Are there quite a few fishkeepers in the area? Do you have local pet shops that sell fish?

If you want to get a club off the ground we are happy to help in any way we can. :thup:

First step would be to run a few informal meetings and see if you can get enough regular members to justify your effort and also to see if you have enough keen, motivated and regular members to form a committee. If you don't have that then there is no real point in setting up a proper affiliated club.

Good on you! Fish clubs come in all shapes and sizes. Some are very formal and have official meetings each month, and others just use it as an excuse to get together and talk about fish and swap plants. Some clubs manage to do both very successfully.

The first thing you could think about is what your prospective members want. if they want to get together to visit and look at each others' tanks, then potluck gatherings at members' houses might be the key. If they want to get together to hear speakers or go on trips, you can include those things. Or you can do a combination of those things. If you have a good group of interested people who work well together, anything is possible.

I personally would recommend that you start off slow by having a get together once every 8 weeks, that will be a lot more achievable than having to organise something every 4 weeks. Give it a go and if after a few months you develop a great community of prospective members, then you can think about forming an official Coromandel club! :happy1:

I would join if you had the meetings at Miranda hot pools :cofn:

Miranda Hot Pools... now there's an idea! :happy2:

Give it a go. I would appreciate any excuse to visit the Coromandel :D

Yeah, not a bad spot of the world. We suffer through it :wink:

Well I guess the first step is putting the feelers out, hence this post. If we can get a half dozen punters to start I'm sure we can go from there. Could be a bit of fun I reckon!

Thats great - if others know where you are based then they will know if its viable to want to join you at meetings. I reckon there will be a few fish keepers you way who would be keen to meet up with other like minded souls.

how far to is it from paeroa...travel time..

Paeroa to Whitianga is just over an hour drive. We do have a spread population when you consider Whangamata, Waihi, Thames & Coromandel. It would be a matter of changing the meeting location, rotating it so it shares the travel distance issue around. If it's once a month, it's not too bad.

Paeroa to Whitianga is just over an hour drive. We do have a spread population when you consider Whangamata, Waihi, Thames & Coromandel. It would be a matter of changing the meeting location, rotating it so it shares the travel distance issue around. If it's once a month, it's not too bad.

or even 6-8 weekly and if you have it at varying times of the day or days of the week more people might be able to get there. I reckon some of the clubs do it well having it at the weekends and with potlucks or bbq's.

Yeah I think meeting times do need to be varied there are always people who can make weekday ones and people who can make weekend ones you can't please everyone, but if there are travel times involved then weekends might be the only option.

• 5 months later...