July 26, 201115 yr comment_448328 I am setting up 30L tank and want it to cycle before the end of the holiday, which is in a week. Usually I would just throw in a couple of guppies and some media from an older filter, but I don't have any guppies any more and I'm using a sponge filter in this tank. Could I just run the sponge filter in one of my current tank and then transfer it to the new one? Also does anyone use products during their cycle? (stress zyme, cycle etc.) Thanks Report
July 26, 201115 yr comment_448329 Probally not, if the tank your going to put it in is already cycled, then the ammonia levels will be 0 so the bacteria will have nothing to eat. Just do a fish less cycle. I never use any products When cycling my tank, just never helps, with the exception of stress zyme to remove the chlorine and chloromines. It could work, I've seen some stuff on YouTube, he got a sponge(from a cycled tank) a cup and squeezed the contents of the sponge into the cup, the gunky stuff. I would like to verify if this works? Good luck Report
July 26, 201115 yr comment_448330 Iv had to set up 2 in the last 3 weeks so what I had been doing is filling up the new tank with water mayb 2/3 then getting the goodies out of my establish filter ie squeezing the filter wool and sponges into a bucket, Then poor this over top of the sponge filter in you new tank give it 2-3 days for the bacteria to attach it self to the new sponge filter. After 2-3 days get all the left over stuff lying on the bottom a 25% water change and you should be good to go :thup: Report
July 26, 201115 yr comment_448341 Yes you can run the sponge filter in an old tank for a week but it will not cycle fully in that time. It will start it though and if you are careful about adding only a few fish at a time (ie 4 neon sized fish) after that you should be fine. Report
July 26, 201115 yr comment_448345 I've seen some stuff on YouTube, he got a sponge(from a cycled tank) a cup and squeezed the contents of the sponge into the cup, the gunky stuff. That is what I would do for a small tank if I had another running. Report
August 1, 201115 yr Author comment_449100 http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/detail/view/tlc-freshwater-startsmart-125ml/m/1178/ Does any one know if this works? Report
August 1, 201115 yr comment_449142 Eh I don't know to be honest, I really believe they don't help, I've never used that exact product but to me those are just expensive bottles of water. Like I'm always told the best way is the old fashion way... Report
August 1, 201115 yr comment_449174 ive set up a few tanks, ranging from 90 litres to 305 litres, and each time ive used a product from my LFS called Startsmart. you have to use the entire bottle right away as its sealed and aparantly no good after a few days of being opened. anyway, long story short, i changed my tank from a 135 litre to my 305 litre, two or three bottles of this stuff after it was up to temp and banged in all my fish, and i mean all of them. new filter, next day, no casualties. it looks really foul, full of bacteria looking crud that went to the bottom, but obviousally did the trick! i will use this every time from now on, not worth the risk if doing a full change or just impatient, and im normally both! HtH Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.