Woohoo got my fantails for the pond

aquariumbeginner32

Went to Mitre 10 Mega today ... got everything for the pond. Went to Animates and got plants and two fantails. One blue/silver and one chocolate. Am hoping for lots of rain tomorrow so it will fill up the pond. My new babies are spending tonight in the 15L tank. I siphoned some water from my 64L into the 15L. I was going to put them with the minnows and guppies but the chocolate one is pretty big and I think it wouldn't have much trouble eating the minnows and guppies lol

I noticed in the car on the way home that the chocy one has some scales (about 6 total) that have lost their color or something. Should I be worried?

Not necessarily. Fish do lose scales and new ones will replace them. They may have a patchy look for some months though. Keep an eye out for fungal infections which may grow on the area if water conditions are not really good.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I went to feed my fantails today and the big chocolate one (Copper) has gone AWOL... I think one of our cats or a stray cat has got it :cry:

The silver/blue one (Steel) was still there but it has a tear in it's top fin and tail, so it looks like it was lucky to survive! I have taken him/her out and temporarily put him/her with my minnows and guppies in the 64L tank. Steel is only about 6-7cm so not big enough yet, to eat my minnows or guppies. I've decided to get an old bath, preferably a claw foot one and my husband works for a plastics company so he can get clear plastic about 7mm thick or so and I can put that over the top with about a 7cm gap on one side, so basically like the tank that has a small gap at the back between the lid and filter. :thup: Even without the lid, I doubt the cats could catch them considering the depth of the bath... they'd end up falling into it LOL And I think the claw foot ones don't have any edges anyway, so nowhere for them to stand. :thup:

Be sure to cover them with nettings. I lost my breeding Orandas and ryukins to cats just 3 weeks ago, 16 of them. Fortunately 2 black Orandas (M&F) and 1 Ryukin left. All the others, the smaler ones, on a different pond are left untouched. They sure know what to pick, seem like size does matter to them lol.

We already lost the chocolate one (which was the biggest of the two) to a cat. :cry: So I removed the blue one and it's in the 64L tank with my guppies and minnows. He/she was lucky ... he/she has a tear in her top fin and her tail :( It's only about 7cm so not big enough yet to eat the smaller fish. I'm getting a bath tub and covering with perspex/clear acrylic. With a gap of course just big enough to put food in and to get air in. I'll have to get a pump/filter.

Be sure to cover them with nettings. I lost my breeding Orandas and ryukins to cats just 3 weeks ago, 16 of them. Fortunately 2 black Orandas (M&F) and 1 Ryukin left. All the others, the smaler ones, on a different pond are left untouched. They sure know what to pick, seem like size does matter to them lol.

Zomg I know right, I lost $300 worth of my breeding stock to a frickin cat. I hate cats they can go extinct for all I care. It managed to get through my fence and netting too, no mean feat and it wasn't like I left the pond in the open for the cat to come and go as it pleased. Now my pond looks like something from WWI I even put barb wire on it. Stinking cat.

I lost 2 of my black orandas, I have two left though so I guess that is better than nothing. But I lost my Ryukins, and ranchus, and veiltail orandas. I was so gutted. It even got my black veiltail oranda. :tears:

Geeeze, Ryunkin is consider a rare stock so is ranchu. I hope my netting will stop them from trying. I don't hate cats, l actually love them, lol. I've been thinking of trapping them so I can give them a loud hissssss in their face which would actually work to prevent them from comming back.

Well my hubby got the clear polycarb from work today... 1.5 x .7m and 12mm thick and they let him just have it. He said on the phone it was going to be about $85 plus GST and then he came home and said he paid nothing :thup: And it looks awesome on the bath. And another bonus is it's way too heavy for a child to lift up. So no risk of anyones kids drowning in it IF they managed to get through the gate/over the fence :thup: