Guppies

Squirt

Hi

I'm interested in breeding some guppies. I have a few questions to ask...

1) I've read on a few turtle sites and it seems that guppies will breed in a turtle(RES) tank. I understand if the female gets pregnant she will slow down. Is it okay to put her in a breeder trap to drop? And can I raise fry in the breeder trap?

2) I understand that the turtle may eat the guppies. How can I lower the chance of him eating them? I was thinking of adding something where the guppies can hide in and the turtle can't, like a ornament with holes or something.

3) is it ok to feed the fry micro worms?

Any suggestions or ideas is wanted, and also can someone in Kapiti supply a few guppies(M &F) I don't want to be paying $20 for 2 sick fish at the LFS ...

Thanks in advance

Matt

1. Guppies will breed anywhere. If you were pregnant you would slow down too! Breeding traps can be used but I always found they stressed out the females too much. You can't raise fry in a breeding trap as they need room to grow out.

2. Turtles will eat guppies. Lower the chances by not putting them together. :wink:

3. You can feed guppy fry microworms.

Are you wanting to breed the guppies just to feed the turtles?

It's not to feed the turtle, he gets fed regularly on pellets and hot house turtle food. It's something that interests me I guess keeps me entertained when there's nothing to do.

If I were to set up a new tank,(I saw a video of a guy taking dirty water out of his filter and putting it the new tank and someone else did it with gravel) I would take some media out of my canister and put it into a sponge filter(has a sponge inside and a nix plastic box around it eheim one) how long would it take to cycle? And would it just be some sponge out of my canister into the sponge?

My guppy breeding set up is a 2ft tank filled with this stuff http://www.trademe.co.nz/Pets-animals/Fish/Decorations/auction-392130152.htm you can also use java moss. Stick in a heater set to 28 degrees, an aqua one clearview 300 hang on filter (with a bit of filterwool covering the intake) and about 1M and 3F and they will multipy in no time :thup: Feed powdered flakes for the fry with a few larger flakes for the adults. Thats the easiest, cheapest option in my opinion. You can use a smaller tank but a 2ft gives plenty of room for the fry to grow out :)

EDIT: I found with only 4 fish in the 2ft it sort of cycles itself quite quickly with no issues as long as you do a 20% water change every 3 or so days. Also a bare bottom tank is easier to clean for a breeding tank :wave: