Why can you keep more tropical fish than coldwater fish?

aquariumbeginner32

Why is it that you can have more tropical fish (more cm per litre of water) than coldwater fish in the same size tank?

I tend to disagree with what animates told you about the cm per liter ratio but it makes sense with most of the fish animates stocks.

From what I know, goldfish produce a lot of waste for their size and most tropical's don't in comparison

Maybe... I don't have goldfish because I only have a 64L tank so I just have minnows and cold water guppies (not true guppies... they are cross bred with other fish I think and have multiple colorings on them and spots. Mine are yellow, pink, blue like you get tortoiseshell cats with different colors). Anyway, I thought a 64L would be too small for tropical fish but I've seen so many 64L tanks with tropical fish in them on YouTube etc....

Also they usually have heaps of plants and rocks etc in them and mine has hardly anything in it so my fishies have a lot of room to move in. :)

I tend to disagree with what animates told you about the cm per liter ratio but it makes sense with most of the fish animates stocks.

From what I know, goldfish produce a lot of waste for their size and most tropical's don't in comparison

I don't know... but I think with the minnows and cold water guppies I should be able to have 12 fish total in a 64L tank. I don't see why it would be too much. I clean my tank once a week. They have so much room IMO.... and they don't even really seem to use it. They tend to stick to one area and groups of about 3 and don't really swim around that much unless they are eating stuff off the gravel or swimming for food I've just put in the tank. They tend to stick to the sides. :lol:

I have successfully acclimatised those types of guppies to warm water. Minnows can be done also but I have no experience.

You wouldn't want to mix danio's, tetras and minnows in a small tank on a visual basis. A large school of one type would look more effective. You could add something like dwarf gourami (which may have issues with the guppies), corydoras or killifish?

I have 2 tropical tanks - 1 is about 25-28litres and the other is about 35litres. I have lots of small fish in them. The Fish Police might only let me have 1 or 2 goldfish in a tank of those sizes because like Josh said, they are poop machines.

It's not just about the fish having room to move but having lots of water to live and breathe in. The more water the better generally but there are things you can get away with if you are very careful and are good at maintaining the water quality in your tank.

Would love to have a clown fish and a tang lol but they probably need a much higher temp than you could have minnows and guppies etc in?

woah there! Now you're talking marine fish which are a whole other story.

I think josh is right on the money with a dwarf gourami or an apisto of some sort (see cacatoides or agassizias these are the easiest to get in nz. Otherwise do a bit of research into what fish you like in a tropical tank and sell your colder water fish.

Or just accept fate and buy another tank - you'll need more tanks to feed the addiction soon enough. :)

Keeping cool water fish in warmer water will speed up their metabolism and [may] shorten their lifespan. Wouldn't recommend it, even mixing tropical and temperate species can cause problems.

As for the cm-per-litre rule, its not worth the pixels its written with. The quality of your water determines how many fish you can keep.

Keeping cool water fish in warmer water will speed up their metabolism and [may] shorten their lifespan. Wouldn't recommend it, even mixing tropical and temperate species can cause problems.

As for the cm-per-litre rule, its not worth the pixels its written with. The quality of your water determines how many fish you can keep.

oh davidR new moderator!! nice congrats and its a very nice betta critter :D

woah there! Now you're talking marine fish which are a whole other story.

I think josh is right on the money with a dwarf gourami or an apisto of some sort (see cacatoides or agassizias these are the easiest to get in nz. Otherwise do a bit of research into what fish you like in a tropical tank and sell your colder water fish.

Or just accept fate and buy another tank - you'll need more tanks to feed the addiction soon enough. :)

lol that's probably what will end up happening eventually.... I'll end up with my coldwater, a tropical AND a marine tank! lol

Marines are alot more work and extra cost than freshwater aquariums.

as with the number of fish, I think you have to take in mind the type of fish, Plants etc., number of water changes, water quality, bla bla bla .......

So if you do everything right in a tropical tank and do the best for you little pets they should be fine.

Thinking back I probably over stocked my fist tank which was 23L with only an under gravel filter and plastic plants :slfg:

Marines are alot more work and extra cost than freshwater aquariums.

as with the number of fish, I think you have to take in mind the type of fish, Plants etc., number of water changes, water quality, bla bla bla .......

So if you do everything right in a tropical tank and do the best for you little pets they should be fine.

Thinking back I probably over stocked my fist tank which was 23L with only an under gravel filter and plastic plants :slfg:

Yes well they will have to come later, when I am back to work. At the moment we're living on just one income and so I'll have to make do with my coldwater tank for now. I think my fish will be fine with a total of 12 because I do my gravel clean and water change once a week. And they seem to be happy. I guess only time will tell....

some goldfish can get a lot bigger than a lot of tropicals too... i assume a lot of aquatic staff are told to tell customers to keep a minimal amount of goldfish per whatever the tank size is. certainly better than overstocking and having the tank crash. alan is right, if all conditions were the same (filtration, water changes, plants, lights, tank size) then technically you can stock more of the same-sized fish (that create a similar amount of waste) as cooler water contains more oxygen than warmer water