Non-virgin female guppies and their offspring...

katrina.hughes

Hi all, I am interested in finding out about the offspring of non-virgin females. Let's say I've bred a non-virgin female with one of my male guppies - what are the odds of her using the more recent sperm of my male compared to some of the older, previous 'flings' she has had? I also want to know how it works... does the female store 'packets' of each males sperm and use them at will or is it all mixed up in one big soup and really ends up as a 'pick n mix' on what offspring you get? :thup:

It really doesn't matter if its not line bred fish, the female will use the freshest packet available, often you may notice after a female has dropped the male will be extra persistent as this is the time to fertilize for the next batch, this can also cause extra stress.

If you have males and females you will get plenty of baby's of mixed and matched traits

Well, you see, I have this particular male that I want to breed but currently I can't get the blonde females that I'm after... so in the meantime I have bred him with some mutts from the local petstore just to see what comes out... so was just curious as to what percentage of the offspring will be his? :dunno: Also how long before the female becomes 'pure' (or as close to pure as possible) again? :thup:

Well, you see, I have this particular male that I want to breed but currently I can't get the blonde females that I'm after... so in the meantime I have bred him with some mutts from the local petstore just to see what comes out... so was just curious as to what percentage of the offspring will be his? :dunno: Also how long before the female becomes 'pure' (or as close to pure as possible) again? :thup:

They might all be his. The mother might throw 3 different strains and the father might also so you might end up with 6 different type mongrels and what ever their gelling produces.

Well that's the interesting part! and I'm glad you asked katrina!

Originally it was thought that female live bearer's as a general rule could release up to 4 (even 5) sets of fry from one fertilization.

since i first started learning about livebearers this was the general information available but since then i have read a number of articles that suggest new information.

Now it seems, it comes down to a variety of things. Firstly and obviously:

tank conditions, this includes parameters and temperatures (higher temperature = less viable sperm over time, lower temps = higher chance of multiple insemination's, however higher temps = shorter gestation periods and larger numbers of fry, where as colder = longer life spans but also longer gestation periods and fewer fry but more sizable on release, the larger amounts of fry holding, the smaller they are when released)

Specie of livebearer (some are more prolific than others, in personal experiments i have done i have had multiple outcomes, Leopard fish for example only ever released one batch from one insemination, but they breed in very small numbers at a time and are coldwater livebearers. Ive only ever had one fat female guppy separated, release 3 batches of separate fry (all others have been 2 batches) before stopping becoming gravid, what was interesting is that the first load was just over 60 fry, the second was around 50 but with A higher number of underdeveloped fry that died before birth and the third was 12 viable fry with around 20 stillborn) this suggests a form of deterioration of the packets over time that i would be so bold to say most likely is a trait shared across all livebearers, BASICALLY the fresher the sperm the better. I did other tests with mollies and got 2 batches before no longer gravid with no discernible differences between the batches and similar with swords and platys (with a slight drop in fry numbers on the second drops, never more than two batches before needing re fertilization, bar the guppy this was always something that interested me.

type and potency of the male that fertilized is also a big factor, here in NZ i have come across more and more story's of nice guppys/livebearers that are completely infertile, this could also have had a bearing on the tests that i did when i had my fishroom. As you may find that fish overseas have a higher fertility rate/re insemination rate, It would be interesting for me to hear from a hobbyist overseas who i could cross reference these findings with to establish commonality if any? as originally i thought it may have just been my fish until i read an article that suggested livebearers actually couldn't re inseminate, well this article was obviously proved wrong. But it did suggest that livebearers could not re inseminate as many times as originally thought.

also obviously availability of varied high quality foods, this has a direct relation to the health of your fish, amount of fry produced, quality of off spring, life expectancy and i would dare to say has some kind of bearing on a female livebearers ability to re fertilize herself.

All in all they are amazing fish and i don't feel get the due's they deserve.

So to finally answer your question katrina, if your tank is at 26c and there are no other males in the tank, regular water changes and plenty of good foods, and suggesting that the above may have some relevance to your particular fish, 8-10 weeks most likely

I would love to hear from people who have had different experiences!

hope this helps

That is brilliantly in-depth, thanks heaps! Yes, I am also interested to hear other peoples experiences on the matter, NZ's guppy gene pool seems to be quite limited... not much line breeding from what I can see either. Really want to get my pink line going but finding it hard to get some albino females... blondes will have to do for the moment. :roll:

Their was a big advertisement on the private selling site hear about the Waikato table sales and what was getting put up for sale and much more. You ladies might have found just what you were looking for their.

Their are so many strains in NZ of guppy you just got to have the tanks to breed them. If each of your Mongrel females throw 3 different strains to the male that throws 3 of his own then theirs 6 strains to work with +. You will need a min of 3 tanks 600X300X300 tanks per each strain to start with. Fish are Childs play to breed pure. So you should have most of the 6 strains coming out near pure within 12 months etc. Quality is as good as your own eyes.

Most of the new imports guppy are throwing 2- 3 ways in a lot of the strains. So if you want them pure pure it is not hard. KIDDIES PLAY you could call it.

:sage: Hey may be them 6 strains that your guppy are throwing are the 6 most endangered strains in the whole world. You haven't thrown them to the big fish to eat. Have you. :nilly:

Sooo lucky! Man, my girl still hasn't dropped... even after my large water change! I swear she's keeping them in on purpose just to make me wait... feel like squeezing her! Grrrr... :facepalm: Oh well, guess I just have to be patient aye. Do albino guppies ever pop up in the pet shops - namely animates botany or hollywood mt roskill?

Sooo lucky! Man, my girl still hasn't dropped... even after my large water change! I swear she's keeping them in on purpose just to make me wait... feel like squeezing her! Grrrr... :facepalm: Oh well, guess I just have to be patient aye. Do albino guppies ever pop up in the pet shops - namely animates botany or hollywood mt roskill?

Always get a few Albinos at Bird Barn Henderson and also Aquaworld Target Road Glenfield. Usually only $5-$8-each just normal guppy price.

My girl from animates is dropping now, started right in the middle of a water change :happy2:

The babies are fluro purple :o Very cool, might have to go down and get a couple more! Anyone know what strain has purple fry?

Anyway, sorry for taking over your thread :smot: