Friend's tank has green water, please help!

SamH

Hey guys, not my tank but I'm trying to help out.

dsc02001ilx.jpg

dsc02002a.jpg

This same thing keeps happening over and over again, despite large (90%) water changes. Animates tested the water and they said it was perfect. The tank gets no direct sunlight and has a single tube over it. Contains a couple of Angels, some Cories and a couple of Kuhli Loaches. No live plants, just fake ones, also driftwood and silica sand. Has only started happening after the filter's been replaced by the new HOB in the photo.

Thanks!

It's just a single tube now on for 8 or less hours a day. It went green again basically overnight. I'm sure Animates water test would have picked up excess nutrients though? The water change was a while after the new filter was put on the tank.

lights should be on less than 6hours for a start

I would suggest a bigger filter(if you can) an real plants or perhaps even add the old filter back in? give tank a good clean take all ornaments an rocks fake/real plants out mess up the place an let it set for say 20mins.gravel vacuum until substrate is clean an no debris is left possibly repeat if needed, drain to 50% an refill.From here turn lights on only for viewing or under 6hours a day MAX.

I don't know how much you feed but it might pay to cut back alot. fish can only eat a pinch or 2 in a meal. So its much much better to under feed them an then under feed again in a couple hours. so very minimal amounts an feed them slowly. dont just chuck a bunch in an leave them to it, hand feed them sorta thing watch the fish eat an when you know they have had a couple good mouthfuls stop an come back a couple hours later an repeat.Not only will this cut back waste but its also good for your precious fish! :D

If you are getting alot of uneaten food it could be worth getting some bottom dwelling bristlenose or corys

Water changes need to be done weekly. A tank that size DOES need to be changed weekly id say about 40% a week should be good.plants would be a good idea an probably save you money on the time wasted cleaning up constantly.Get some low light plants (ask for advice at petshop), chances are someone on here will give you some cuttings if you advertise.

I have a 4foot tank heavily planted with a t8 dual plant bulbs an I only leave my lights on 6hours.So cut back that lighting asap

90% water changes a day will get rid of it but bank on it taking 4 or 5 days before its gone

It dilutes it till its gone,just 1 90% won't do it,it just comes back

You have to maintain it over a number of days until it is gone

best of luck

I have had this happen a number of times on different tanks. It always happens not long after being set up or after I've majorly upset something with filter/substrate changes or large rearranging/ replanting.

So I reckon an imbalance -perhaps a small ammonia spike- that starts it off but once its there its very hard to get rid of- kinda like duckweed :slfg:

I have found 3 ways to get rid of it:

-100% waterchange- can be stressful on fish

-adding a number of willow branches ( with the tops poking out the top of the tank) and leaving them for a couple of weeks till they sprout leaves- I guess this is the same theory as adding floating plants

- using a uv filter- really easy, clears up in a couple of days.

After using any of these methods the green water has gone and not returned in spite of not changing anything else. All but one of my 15 tanks sit near windows and get a lot of light.

I haven't had it happen for a while as now I always put in floating plants when I change things.

I'll also put my hand up and say I don't think the amount of light is causing an issue. I always have my tank lights on 13 hours a day and have only ever had an algae bloom during the initial set up of the tank.

As Caryl mentioned, the nutrient levels are out of whack. The change in filter and filter media, (assuming it's all new media), has taken out a bunch of bacteria. Adding plants, stealing mature filter media from one of your filters, plenty of water changes, a UV steriliser or patience should make it go away. :P

Also, you do need to specifically ask for phosphates to be tested at Animates as not everyone tests for it.