June 21, 201115 yr comment_441622 http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=384864744 http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=384864745 I just wonder are they total crap? or would they work in a freshwater aquarium, thinking about adding the occasional hour of exercise for the fish to my large tank Report
June 21, 201115 yr comment_441624 How big is your tank? That seems to be quite a high flow rate to be honest. As for quality? Not a clue, although they don't look like they particularly scream quality, I'd prob opt for a smaller power head with known reliability (2nd one even) myself but it can only lose you $25 to try? Report
June 21, 201115 yr comment_441626 I bought a cheapie off trademe a while ago. Takes a few times of plugging in and unplugging before it 'blows' instead of 'sucks' but it's good when it goes properly. I used to have it on a timer and most of the time it would turn on 'sucking' and I'd get fish trapped inside it and die. Report
June 21, 201115 yr comment_441629 I have a 6000lph one of those and I only use it for short bursts in my 5ft tank. I would go for one that oscillates (moves) over one that stays in a fixed position if I had the choice to buy it again. Report
June 21, 201115 yr Author comment_441635 Its around 800l 6foot, yeah i think the flow might be too high, just thought it could be good exercise for the fish as there isn't a huge amount of water flow in the tank, It runs two 1500LPH trickle filters and i have a bubble tower in there to add movement lol The fish are happy as, just thought the new catfish would get a kick from some high flow every now and then and like you say, they are very cheap Report
June 21, 201115 yr comment_441645 the sunsun ones are good value for money and most reviews are good. I would think that a 5000lph in an 800L tank isn't too high but it might be depending on where you place it. Report
June 21, 201115 yr comment_441652 my 5ft tank is only 450 litres so you should be pretty much okay. My fish do cope, but I feel sorry for the discus if its on all the time. Report
June 21, 201115 yr comment_441654 I have one in my 6fter with africans, they love playing in the current. I forget what the flow rate is but think its higher than 6000l/h. I wouldn't recommend using it on a timer though, as im sure fish will find their way into it while its off. Then will be mince meat when it switches back on. Report
June 21, 201115 yr comment_441674 Don't forget to buy the magnet one.. The suction cup ones will fall off sooner or later. Report
June 21, 201115 yr comment_441702 I put 2 5000lph ones (onw either side) in my 7' for bottom of the tank flow but they kept moving the gravel even when 150mm off the bottom so got a couple of 3000lph ones that are about 75mm off the bottom and they are still moving the gravel, i put some larger stones down on top to stop it. They have given no trouble in 6 mths and have a good very wide current. Definetly go for the magnetic ones, the other option to these were the Tunze at $200 each. I know there were a few selling the SunSun on trade me with a picture of the magnetic holder but they only cam with suction cups so make sure you ask about magnetic attachment. This is the guy i got mine from, came with suction cups and magnet. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Pets-animals/Fish/Pumps-filters/auction-385558769.htm http://www.trademe.co.nz/Pets-animals/Fish/Pumps-filters/auction-385811365.htm If you want smaller just ask him and it appears he is now selling the Tunze as well, very good price but still a lot dearer than the sunsun. This is their website.....http://aquaworld.co.nz/estore/category/reef%20keeping/hardware.aspx Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.