Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

I finally have some killies!!

Featured Replies

After having the tank set up for an obscenely long time, I have finally got my first trio of killies :happy2:

(Australe Gold)

They are soo cute to watch, checking out the whole tank, and playing in the plants.

Sadly, one has found a quiet corner to be in, and looks like she might not be with us in the morning.

On the up side, the other two were spawning in the tank in Hollywoods just before I got them (if we did manage to capture those two?) so who knows

Just wondering, what do you feed yours on?

I currently have some bloodworms lined up for the morning.

Lisa

blood worms an flake should be ok, maybe some other live food if you have it. keep a close eye on them.

BEWARE they can jump a good 5-10cm an you will need a lid or net covering the tank AT ALL TIMES(trust me ALL TIMES)

if you don't know what cycling is then best google fish tank cycling its very important in a new tank, also make sure the water going into tank isn't chlorinated.plants help keep a balance in water quality

stress coat will help with new fish

My killies love the JBL NovoColor granules. In fact all of my fish do. They'll eat that rather than bloodworms if you put both in the tank. Even my bristlenoses go nuts over that JBL food.

  • Author

Thanks for that. Tank is more than fully cycled (it has been set up for over a year with cardinals in it, which are now in my main tank with the rest of them.

I have a lid on the tank, and plugged up the gap where the cords go into it, and have a covering of duckweed (uugh) and riccia. Unfortunately the tank is a little Blue Planet one and I cannot get any better lighting on it to make the riccia grow and cover the top. (Duckweed came with the riccia unfortunately)

So no one jumped last night, but the fish who has lost the will to live keeps playing possum in the floating plants,

but swims away rapidly when I went to scoop out the 'dead' fish :-?

  • Author
what sex are they Lisa?

They are meant to be 1 male and 2 female.

I saw "deadfish" swimming around as though nothing was wrong just before, but has since gone into hibernation mode. Is this normal?? This morning I found her floating on her side in the weed, but later on found her elsewhere looking unenergetic, but a bit alive. The others were trying to get her to move!! Was so sweet.

I was about to euthanise her, until I saw her swimming normally tonight. (Lucky I didn't have any clove oil!!)

Any ideas would be appreicated. (Will call HFF in the morning too)

Lisa

Take her to HFF as they said and if there isn't a water issue they will help you out. You may at least get a replacement fish out of it. They will breed a lot faster for you with 2 girls.

Sometimes the girls just like to hide out and have some peace and quiet from the boys...

  • Author

Thanks HFF - turns out there was a large difference in ph. Hopefully she will be fine

Thanks also Zev - That makes sense now. Think I will stop worrying, and checking her "live-ness" status.

Lisa

  • Author

Sadly "deadfish" finally did die :cry: The other two are happily swimming around the tank.

If anyone has any females out there, can they please let me know?

Thanks so much

Lisa

sad to hear about the dead fish.

You should make a spawnign mop for the killies.

Australes like spawning in mops

  • Author
sad to hear about the dead fish.

You should make a spawnign mop for the killies.

Australes like spawning in mops

I plan to Wok, but I think I am left with 2 males :oops: so am on the lookout for another female or two.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.