Frog deformities - Bent back bones - >> GRAPHIC PIC <<

jc did you work at the auckland zoo???

nope but would like to after my masters someday when that elephant enclosure is complete :) but who knows really what i want to do.

True didnt think about that, they really need some new genetic data in their blood lines so you need to get hunting for some Wild cousins or play God and do some serious out breeding and inbreeding to get them to a healthy state. This will take many many seasons and years. So when you come to sell them if you put in the amount of time invested then id hate to see the price tag that follows them.

Best bet is to sell some of your stock up so more breeders can start on the process. Depending on the price id be keen to help out.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wild ones seem to pop up from time to time so it's not impossible to get more if nature provides.

new blood is probably the only way.

instinct tells me all bent should be culled.

i really just want to see hundreds of straight albino frogs jumping around. dreams a free they say.

time i actually had something breed successfully for a change.

just cos something is deformed doesnt mean it isnt healthy :wink:

i can produce plenty of 'healthy' bent frogs, just unethical to distribute. Unless the bent frogs miraculously produce straight tadpoles/frogs, but that's highly unlikely.

wild ones seem to pop up from time to time so it's not impossible to get more if nature provides.

new blood is probably the only way.

instinct tells me all bent should be culled.

i really just want to see hundreds of straight albino frogs jumping around. dreams a free they say.

time i actually had something breed successfully for a change.

just cos something is deformed doesnt mean it isnt healthy :wink:

i can produce plenty of 'healthy' bent frogs, just unethical to distribute. Unless the bent frogs miraculously produce straight tadpoles/frogs, but that's highly unlikely.

yer new blood would help, thats why im interest in TM lol

With those numbers, and the healthier numbers of normals, I would say it is hereditary. Bent spine in many other animals is a genetic trait. I can't say for sure in frogs though. I think you are right to consider culling them, or not breeding from them. The only way to eliminate that trait is to not breed anything even remotely related to it! :nilly:

With those numbers, and the healthier numbers of normals, I would say it is hereditary. Bent spine in many other animals is a genetic trait. I can't say for sure in frogs though. I think you are right to consider culling them, or not breeding from them. The only way to eliminate that trait is to not breed anything even remotely related to it! :nilly:

thinking about it now, i was a bit in denial ever letting bent ones morph :facepalm:

in my defence though. 95% were culled as tadpoles, when the defect was noticeable.

some of the small frogs looked ok. but as they grew the bent spine became more obvious.

worth getting some if they are indeed from the yellow mother.

i promise i wont outbid you this time :lol: i'd totally forgotten about that :oops:

i think they are from that frog but i just question now they got the frog in the first place, but i guess that doesn't matter lol. if i do bid for them i will go up and pick them up and have a better look at the female, see if she is albino.

were the eggs or young tadpoles ever exposed to fresh tap water?

some were. most raised in rain water. or water from my troughs full of daphnia, also tried green water, grass infusoria etc.. same result.

if it was something like tap water causing it. id would have thought the ewingii and the standard bell frogs ive raised would of faced the same problem.

then again maybe the albinos are more sensitive therefore displayed the effect. :dunno:

some were. most raised in rain water. or water from my troughs full of daphnia, also tried green water, grass infusoria etc.. same result.

if it was something like tap water causing it. id would have thought the ewingii and the standard bell frogs ive raised would of faced the same problem.

then again maybe the albinos are more sensitive therefore displayed the effect. :dunno:

just curious ,i had a bach of fire bellied newts turn out the same a while back,the only bach i ever put in fresh tap water as eggs.

• 2 weeks later...

true, just wonder if it may be that a parasite is causing the defects... :dunno:

Now the parasite grows in the muscle of the fish. In fry the parasite can cause spinal growth defects.

Obviously having more cysts inside you because of the roundup is a Bad Thing.

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=53457

:dunno: though, i may be clutching at straws

• 3 weeks later...
would there be any harm in putting a uv filter on the water supply?

like is that going to kill valuable micro organisms the tadpoles like to munch out on?

I think you are right regarding the UV filtration. It non-selectively kills microorganisms of a certain size (including both free swimming parasites and beneficial zooplankton that the tadpoles would eat). As I have said before, I am not an expert on frogs but my own experiences show that these zooplankton are very beneficial to development of fish fry so I personally would be reluctant to use a UV filter.

Also, keep in mind that snails are intermediate hosts of some parasites, but I believe that these are limited to some species of snails and not others. Either way, if your frogs are not eating wild caught snails, and you aren't using 'raw' water from wetlands, then it shouldn't be a problem. If you are trying to remove larval (?) forms of snails, the UV filter may need to be a high intensity/low flow if the larvae are large.

Just thoughts... :dunno:

• 1 month later...