live blood worms?

REEVESTA

I have kept a bucket of java fern in a bucket outside for almost a year, and havn't touched it once, and decided to go through it today.

Found a large amount of what looks like blood worm wriggling round in the bottom of the bucket :nilly:

Are they safe to feed to the fish? I read somwhere that they can carry disease?

try getting a good handful of the silt with worms and all and straining it careful thru a some course cloth under a gentle flow . they may also be black worms or a combination of bloodworms and black worms either way bloody good fish food . i think alanmin knows a bit about them , i used to get them out of the creek at my old house

The reason they say bloodworms carry disease is because they usually live in sewers etc, however anything found in clean waterways is fine to feed to fish

Lots of people aren't a fan of bloodworms because they are supposed to be hard for fish to digest and can cause issues.. If you google or research it they are actually quite a bad allergen for alot of people, to the point where if some people are in a shop when they are opened they can't breath or if they handle them they break out in rashes. Some people believe that it can't be good to feed these to their fish.. All theories and most fish keepers I know feed bloodworms to their fish in moderation with no issues.

Blackworms are also good, I feed a few of these to my fish and they love them :) They are also red/brown in colour.

Lots of people aren't a fan of bloodworms because they are supposed to be hard for fish to digest and can cause issues.. If you google or research it they are actually quite a bad allergen for alot of people, to the point where if some people are in a shop when they are opened they can't breath or if they handle them they break out in rashes. Some people believe that it can be good to feed these to their fish.. All theories and most fish keepers I know feed bloodworms to their fish in moderation with no issues.

Blackworms are also good, I feed a few of these to my fish and they love them :) They are also red/brown in colour.

Interesting - I've seen bloodworms go straight through a few fish and come out hardly digested. I guess that explains it. My angels for instance don't care for them but the rest of the tank can't get enough.

If you google or research it they are actually quite a bad allergen for alot of people, to the point where if some people are in a shop when they are opened they can't breath or if they handle them they break out in rashes.

A friend of mine was trying to power grow baby angels and I suggested blood worms as part of his feed. He broke out with a rash every time he touched them.

A friend of mine was trying to power grow baby angels and I suggested blood worms as part of his feed. He broke out with a rash every time he touched them.

I have to wash my hands really well if I touch them. Otherwise my fingers start to itch. A couple times, before I figured out what was happening, I rubbed my eyes before washing my hands. It made my eyes start watering and itchy. So of course I'd rub them again, watering more, rub more. Eventually end up with what looked like a big fluid filled blister on my eyeball.

I have to wash my hands really well if I touch them. Otherwise my fingers start to itch. A couple times, before I figured out what was happening, I rubbed my eyes before washing my hands. It made my eyes start watering and itchy. So of course I'd rub them again, watering more, rub more. Eventually end up with what looked like a big fluid filled blister on my eyeball.

I've done the same! Ended up in hospital where they 'irrigated' my eye, not a fun process. I handle them almost daily and have to be very careful, even using gloves I still have to put medication on my hands or my skin drys out splits.

• 2 weeks later...