auckland zoos new native area

nativelover

in september auckland zoo is opening its new masssive new native area i went today and aparently they are going to have heaps of native tanks :happy1: :happy1:

It's a large area they're developing. That'll be why they decided to keep the 3m long tank they had on trademe then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Went there today. One word: Awesome! The aviaries area amazing and the kea and weka and walking/hoping/flying right where you walk. I was really impressed with the native fish tanks. The eel enclosure is huge but I didn't see any. The kiwi seem to be liking their new home too.

I highly recommend going.

I took my daughter to the zoo yesterday... her first time.

She really enjoyed it, as did I :)

I took particular notice of the native area, and agree with comments above regarding the set up, they have put some work into this area and made a really good go of it. The aviaries are awesome and the good old birds get right up in your face... which my daughter loved! I really like Auckland Zoo and how they try to make the enclosures as good for the animals as possible, there are spots in the native area where you feel like you could be anywhere else in the country, rather than in the middle of Auckland. They have constructed "old DOC huts" with props as the entrance to each area as well, which really adds to the whole theme.

ysdjljez.4xu.jpg

un4jyihj.j3y.jpg

1cgdi3uy.gov.jpg

5gh2mgln.zlt.jpg

Just outside the new kiwi area there is a pond with a perspex side, this was for the eels... didn't see any yesterday though, they must have been hiding

w3gnjpps.s5k.jpg

In terms of native aquariums, there is three in the new kiwi house, the aquariums are well set up and look good, they have done a great job overall.

***The following images aren't the greatest do to it being rather dark in the kiwi house and no flashes allowed***

Big tank holding a giant kokopu, he is on the right hand side.... hiding in the dark spot near the top right:

0xlf5gmq.tgm.jpg

Smaller tank housing mudfish (I recognised the photo on the info plaque from Stella's Book, and they have got Stella's name on the pic ;) ) :

vhddwpg3.tnb.jpg

Mid size community tank:

4mo0aqvo.u2e.jpg

ounxy2vp.aib.jpg

3gzm22yu.otz.jpg

The mid size has had me thinking a lot since I saw it... it is a pretty decent sized tank, however it has A LOT of stock which are all only juvenile at the moment. A list of what I saw in the tank.

Torrent fish

Inanga

Mid size crays

Koaro

Multiple species and numbers of Bullies (I identified at least Crans, Common, Redfin)

Banded kokopu

So yeah, my thoughts are that this is a pretty high stock level for any tank, let alone a native tank and there is going to be issues with this tank with compatibility as the occupants grow older, bigger and more mature. I came home and checked my IDs using Stella's book, and I was right on the money.

Is anyone here helping out Auckland Zoo with the tanks?

Don't get me wrong, they have done an awesome job highlighting the native fish of new zealand, which is fantastic! It was AWESOME seeing all the species I have been researching in action, and it gave me even more idea on what native tanks I will be setting up in the next few months, I just hope Auckland Zoo has got knowledge/plans on what they are doing with these occupants as they grow up :)

Cheers.

PS: An Image for our Reptile loving friends on this forum... this is one of the only lizards I saw yesterday... it is a Gecko, I just need to remember what type and I'll let you know.

tpsfh5ui.kfj.jpg

wow is all i can say went their today and all the tanks, enclosures, vivarium's, and avairy are amazing all so realestic the fake rock work is what makes it for me the giant kokopu tank was amzing the community tank was deffs over crowded and layout wasnt that great but the rock work and seeing the koaro and big bandeds motivated me to fatten my little guys up.

wow is all i can say went their today and all the tanks, enclosures, vivarium's, and avairy are amazing all so realestic the fake rock work is what makes it for me the giant kokopu tank was amzing the community tank was deffs over crowded and layout wasnt that great but the rock work and seeing the koaro and big bandeds motivated me to fatten my little guys up.

+1...i went there yesterday

i commented to thelady about Stella's phto and she didnt say anything :an!gry

it does say her name at the bottom of the photo though :thup:

loved it all in all

Looking good!

Neat seeing how useful my book is for people, thanks Mikey!

I didn't realise the used the photo! (which one was it?) I was forwarded an urgent request for photos and sent them a few but they never replied. Oh well, at least the credited it.

Neat seeing how useful my book is for people, thanks Mikey!

Credit, where credit is due, it is a great book you have done there Stella. Thank you for taking the time to write and publish it.

PS: I will be starting a thread this week with my Koura tank build :happy1: