Wiptail fry pics

kylefish02

I've got a similar problem to Kyle at the moment - banded whiptails sitting on eggs, crocodile cats laid and the male columbian plec is carrying around a lip full of eggs.

I'm also raising up the previous clutches of banded whips and columbians, though not many of the banded whips survived.

It's the first time the crocodile cats have spawned - I've only had the female a month and she was getting fatter and fatter - they finally spawned when I put in a narrower bamboo tube for them. Though something screwy has happened - me being my nosey-self had to check what the croc cat eggs looked like (pale cream - not green like the banded whips and slightly larger) but I must have spooked the male because he's abandoned the eggs. Today when I checked there was a small male clown plec sitting on the eggs - I'm not sure if he was getting a free feed or has become a surrogate dad - maybe I've got the equivalent of a broody bantam.