Does something leech out of black silica sand?

henward

the satin stuff is natural

not the shiny stuff you get thats synthetic

but just wondering

\what type of rock is this

is this the same charcoal grit from stone and water world just finely ground?

i am going to need alot of these

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way I can tell sharp sand from smooth is comparing something like paving sand - gritty and unpleasant feeling - to silica sand or beach sand that feels softish. It's still sand after all and not velvet so still not the sort of thing you want to get trapped in your undies either way. If there is any differentiation between those 2 extremes I can't find it. Also I personally wouldn't use fine gravel when I could get fine sand as the instructions that come with cories say - "must have sand or smooth round stones". I have seen pictures of corys with damaged barbels and it ain't pretty so I think it isn't worth the risk.

In short I would choose iron sand over black satin.

The trick is to find out if it's quarried sand or beach sand.

Quarried sand is just rock that's been crushed small enough to be considered sand but it still feels like sand sized broken rocks ie. sharp.

Beach sand has had hundreds of years of erosion to smooth it out making it round edged and not at all sharp.

River sand is a hard one to call because often it comes from quarries which are digging up old river beds and thus claiming it's river sand but it's still sharp rock. At the same time sand can be collected from rivers which is actually smooth but it's usually found near the mouth of the river where it enters the sea / lake as it starts it's journey from the top of the river (or wherever it entered) as a little rock.

i bought satin sand from petstuff

looks amazing!

sandy substrate, very fine and very very black and dark.

obviously not as pitch black as iron sand but this is dark enough. very dark.

look sgreat!

i have set up my VIP tank, i will post pics soon

• 4 weeks later...

Got about 15-20kg of black iron sand from Muriwai today. It's BLACK! and looks awesome with the rocks I have. I'll be redoing the lounge display tank tomorrow (or maybe the next day now) so will post pics.

I'll be testing the water parameters and doing multiple water changes over the next few weeks and if it's all good it'll be going in my big tank.

Stoked!

be careful

for fish that dnt have iron sand as their habitat, it could cause problems, feedback i had is that they react to water when water becomes acidic.

just a thought:D

i didnt wanna take the risk

The iron reacts to acidic water or the fish? The fish are used to acidic water but I'll be making sure it doesn't lower the PH at all. Hmmm, ok, I'll do some more research...

I don't see why it would, iron is present in almost all natural water supplys and is added to planted aquariums.

My water supply is 3 parts per million iron and the is ph 6.3 at the source, not quite as high at my tap because of the filters but still very high and have had fish for about 4-5 years now and no suspicous deaths.

I don't have iron sand, just black silica and black satin sand, My water supply is whats high in iron.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my tank with Muriwai black sillica in it. The water is stable and there seems to be no issues what so ever. I've put a sword in there to see if the iron helps it colour up at all (which I'm not sure it will). Under the lights it looks kind of golden / brown but it's black to the eye in the room with it.

img7748w.jpg

Should have cleaned the kitchen... :facepalm:

Looks great :) Do you have a GH tester? Would be interested to know if it hardens the water significantly.

Thinking I might need to take a trip out to muriwai ....

ps. your kitchen looks normal to me

I have the Gh and Kh test kit and the sand water was not different, or not by much. I tested buckets of sand water and water and tank water

black sand looks good Dan - is it blacker than mine was under the lights? I think there is a gold tinge to yours, it isn't black-black like the background

I have the Gh and Kh test kit and the sand water was not different, or not by much. I tested buckets of sand water and water and tank water

black sand looks good Dan - is it blacker than mine was under the lights? I think there is a gold tinge to yours, it isn't black-black like the background

Yeah, I think it is darker than yours, or mine has less of the brown mixed in it? The last lot I got from Muriwai was really brown but this lot I got from a different area. The background is matt black paint and it's not that black under light but it's definitely dark.

The fish are loving it and I've never seen the cardinals and black neons looking so vibrant.

Awesome, muriwai here I come ;)

I'll race you :) If you go to the dog walking area down the end of the road past the golf club, next to where the horses are parked and ridden onto the beach, there's a big dune along the river outlet (if you find the river you'll find the dune) which is where I got this batch from.

My mate got some from lake Taupo, Black it sure is although it is quite sparkly, but it hasn't leached anything. ill try get a pic

I'd be interested to know if it's as smooth/fine as this stuff. This is as fine if not finer than the white silica I've had. It's heavier too.

some nice looking tanks there :thup: .

I use Iron sand from greymouth beach, been there twice an have about 40kgs of it. always rinsed it before use and never had any issues or fish losses with it and my ph sits the same as when I used the white silica sand (chch well water) Don't see why it would be bad for fish unless the beach was contaminated? should be almost neutral because its from the beach? I think you'll find ph shock would be the cause of any related deaths from substrate, e.g taking it from a ph of 6 to a ph of unsettled 7

• 1 month later...

Hey Joshlikesfish, where in Taupo did your mate get the sand?? I am looking for a sand thats dark...but not brown like the Daltons propogating mix. I actually got a beautiful white sand from a local lake whilst hunting...looked really suspicious two grown men with guns on their backs carrying out bags of sand and no deer :D But the sand turned out to be a pumice sand and is so light that a fish only has to flick its tail to dislodge nearby plants......

Do you have any better photos of the sand... does anyone have photos of the raglan sand, might head over there this week for a surf and pick up some sand