Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Moyas 460L setup

Featured Replies

If you want to shimmy thats up to you, personally I would stop dancing and level the stand out :slfg:

You could put packers under the stand on the side thats too low

  • Replies 81
  • Views 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Up to you really. My 6 footer is out by about 4-5mm and its a bit annoying but not too bad. It just depends if you want to look at the uneven water level all the time. Personally, I would fix it. Doesnt take much time and looks nicer having an even water level.

Always remember with big tanks: its much easier to do this stuff at the start while its empty, without 100 odd kgs of sand, driftwood, plants etc.

Whats the floor made of? I certainly wouldn't be happy having that much water in a tank 7mm out (or even 4-5mm for that matter). I'd certainly look at doing something to level it up, just think of the worse case scenario if you don't....

Whats the floor made of? I certainly wouldn't be happy having that much water in a tank 7mm out (or even 4-5mm for that matter). I'd certainly look at doing something to level it up, just think of the worse case scenario if you don't....

i agree with this, especially as your tank is far taller than standard tanks. If it was only half the height it would be much less of an issue being 7mm on the piss.

i agree with this, especially as your tank is far taller than standard tanks. If it was only half the height it would be much less of an issue being 7mm on the piss.

Its only 65cm tall

so the perv in me ( seeing how that is how this thread was taken over) says ...oh i dont know would quite like to see the shimmy? :roll: :dunno: :wink:

the fisho says Moya...get it right up front. get it as level as you can and do it once if you can.

the fisho also says we have heard a lot about what you should keep...but what were you thinking about when you wanted to set it up Moya? I mean you have mentioned discus and rainbows but still leaves a lot of room....not sure I would put rainbows with flat fish tho?

  • Author

Well, I'm going to shim it in the weekend (and possibly shimmy as well?). But I shall do the two separately I think, for safety's sake. I had a hunt around last night and actually found a decent amount of 7mm ply left over from an aviary construction, so I'm all sorted there. Ive got a friend coming around in the weekend to provide the muscle for actually lifting the SOB up enough to put the ply under. Then after that...fun stuff! I have my sand already (Course sand from mitre ten) and I will be taking plenty of pictures in the weekend as I fill etc.

the fisho also says we have heard a lot about what you should keep...but what were you thinking about when you wanted to set it up Moya? I mean you have mentioned discus and rainbows but still leaves a lot of room....not sure I would put rainbows with flat fish tho?

Ive always been a bit durrrrrr on what I'm going to put in it exactly, other then my Discus and my clowns. I'm planning to keep it VERY simple in terms of species diversity. I don't really want to end up with 4 different types of Tetra for example. The plan is still probably going to be Discus + clowns + cardinals + smallish fancy pleco of some variety (nugget?) + nice rams/apistos. Its all very much up in the air though! Who knows, I may still wake up one morning, sell all my discus, and have a couple hundred cardinals instead!

Ive never stocked a tank this big, Im so not use to having this much freedom in the amount/range of fish I can put in. Its exciting. Will also be hilarious putting my first discus in there and watching him buzz out on how much room hes got.

moya in stead of getting your self in a mudle over what to put in there.

pick out the fish you reaily like and built around that..say your discus and cardinals

and a nice plec or two.maybe a school of hatchetfish for upper level..

whould be cool in a fully planted,you may even get your discus to breed in there..

Cardinals are a bit "played out" IMO, they're gorgeous and popular for a reason, but have a look at some other species before deciding what you want. Serpaes, rosy, rummy nose, even good old lemons all look good in large schools (30+).

Cardinals are a bit "played out" IMO, they're gorgeous and popular for a reason, but have a look at some other species before deciding what you want. Serpaes, rosy, rummy nose, even good old lemons all look good in large schools (30+).

+1

100+ rummy nose would look awesome

Cardinals are a bit "played out" IMO, they're gorgeous and popular for a reason, but have a look at some other species before deciding what you want. Serpaes, rosy, rummy nose, even good old lemons all look good in large schools (30+).

Cardinals still look better than all of those IMO :P

Emperor Tetras (Nematobrycon palmeri) are another very nice tetra with great little personalities too. Maybe a school of them if you decide not to get the Cardinals?

  • Author

Hatchets! Great idea, I really love these guys. I'll probably go for the plain silver ones, and get maybe 8 or so.

Well, I shimmed the stand in the weekend and used a proper level to see how it was all sitting. It's only out now by less than a mm. Over the past few days I have been working on it after uni. Daltons Aquatic potting mix went down first, and then the Coarse sand I got from Mitre Ten. I'm half way through filling it. I put some plants I had waiting in a bag into it this evening too. The sand is gorgeous. Its a lovely colour and grain size, and wasn't that awful to rinse.

Heres an updated photo! Water is a little murky, but much better than I was expecting. I'll continue filling tomorrow and then do the big filter/fish switcheroo next weekend.

halffullshot.jpg

nice progress, will be great when it has fish in it.

just in case you haven't realised, there is a minimum water level for the heaters & the water level in the pic doesn't look high enough. perhaps you have filled it more or pushed them down but just in case you haven't.

  • Author

Yep! Thanks for warning. I was going to try finish filling tonight but had to stop, so had the heaters placed in prep for that.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.