Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
We’ve recently updated Aquarium World! We’re working through a few bugs, with exciting new features on the way. Thanks for your patience while we fine-tune the site.

Oops!

Featured Replies

I have just managed to wipe the whole May Aquarium World - which was just having the finishing touches added to it :-? :cry:

I have unplugged the external drive so hopefully Grant will be able to retrieve a copy from there as it does an auto backup every 4 hours or something so, assuming it is working properly, it will be there.

Oh dear :tears: &c:ry

It is times like this I wish I drank as I could do with a stiff drink :roll:

No problem Caryl. I do drink, so I'll have the stiff drink for you... always willing to help a friend.

Glug, glug... feeling better already!

  • Author

In this case PhotoRec would not work.

The computer is supposed to do an auto back-up daily (and claimed it was). When Grant last checked it at the end of March it was doing so. Perhaps he did something to it as it obviously hasn't worked since! :-?

I did not accidentally delete it (that would have been easy to fix) but I overwrote it. Went to Save As and when it asked if I was sure, I said yes. As soon as I clicked it I realised it was wrong (I had both the magazine and the cover open at the same time and had been working between one and the other and had meant to save the cover but selected the mag name instead) but no matter how loudly I screamed "NO! I MADE A MISTAKE! STOP!!!! it did not listen :facepalm: &c:ry

Grant has retrieved all but 13 pages of it. Of course of those 13 pages, which had about 6 different articles from memory, 2 were written by me so I don't have a copy. One of them had taken over a week to sort, write, check, contact others for confirmation of facts etc. If only I had sent a copy to Donna (as a lot had to do about her experiences with getting the turtles out of the quake zone) for checking I would have a copy for her to send back but I had not yet done so. :tears:

Luckily I have a couple of articles ready to go into the August mag so I can use them instead then laboriously re-write the other, which was about 6 pages on its own.

Thank you to those in Chat last night who were offering possible solutions. :hail:

:facepalm: :tears: Oh No Caryl!!!! Thats awful!!!! I almost asked you for a copy too but didnt want to pressure you! Next time I will........any luck retrieving anything? I've still got 'emails' but thats not really much good..... :facepalm: :(:(

  • Author

Thanks Donna but I have all the emails etc I used to write the article so will have to start again. It has meant a rewrite of those 13 pages and some that was going in May will now be in Aug and some Aug stuff will go in May.

Grant has discovered the backup problem (a fault in the HD or something) and thinks he has it sorted. I mow have 2 backups going but notihing to retrieve about 2 weeks worth of work &c:ry

I had done a followup on quake proofing and the saga of rehoming all those turtles. It was those two that had taken the longest to do. There was also a small bit about poisonous frogs and a piece expanded on from an idea from Dominique (KMAC sec).

The others were emailed so I only have to reformat them. I think the magazine will still be out on time just that I will be a little frazzled. :nilly:

&c:ry Looks like there will be a few late nights...... :tears: Hope it all goes smoothly and when you start writing it all floods back easily!!!! :happy2:

  • Author

Actually tracytrout, since you asked... you were going to do an article about your nigripinnis (that was Feb 2010). Have you progressed with it at all? :wink:

I still have the photos you took, waiting for an accompanying article 8)

I have been working steadily since the stuff-up and am pleased to say that I have finished it!!! AGAIN :happy2: :happy1: :bounce:

I used the articles that had initially arrived too late to fit into the May edition and were ready to go in August. Now all I have to do is rewrite the ones I lost and put them into the next issue. This gives me a bit more time.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.