Giant danios sick

Caryl

I have 4 giant danios. Today 3 of them are head down, tail up and swimming oddly. Occasionally spiralling but mostly swimming frantically all over the place, instead of their usual gentle cruising. All seem to have a lump behind the anal region and all have red vents. All other fish are fine. I have managed to catch 2 of them (in case they are contagious) but in a large tank with a lot of driftwood and plants, they are hard to catch! They may be sick but they can move fast!

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

No change in anything, no new food, no new additions etc.

Jennifer has suggested the fish might have intestinal inflammation and gas buildup in the intestines is causing the strange swimming. Stop feeding for a few days, add some salt to the water and when you start feeding again, add lots of daphia, brine shrimp and spiruling flake. Add those things for the other fish as well to help prevent it.

Yes. Danios seem back to normal this morning. Still seems to be a slight swelling but all redness has gone and fish swimming normally, although still frantic. That is more likely to be because they were trapped in a small container though! Poo appears normal. I have released the 2 I managed to catch back into the tank.

Yes. Danios seem back to normal this morning. Still seems to be a slight swelling but all redness has gone and fish swimming normally, although still frantic. That is more likely to be because they were trapped in a small container though! Poo appears normal. I have released the 2 I managed to catch back into the tank.

Judging from mine I'd say gentle cruising is a symptom, frantic swimming is normal.:)