My 1200L Fish Tank (The journey Nearly OVER)

Fishie123

Wouldn't pink batts a lot more expensive than poly? how does using thin layer of cotton stuffing between 2 layers of poly sound? would that be effective?

No gain.. Poly and pink batts have around the same insulation properties.. Pink batts should be cheaper than poly but cannot support itself on eg. a wall so need framing and lining.

Box frame the tank and fill frame with pink batts you reckon?

:thup: That's a great idea but unfortunately on a tank there will always be large uninsulated areas (front and top for obvious reasons) so even though we can almost eliminate heatloss from the other sides we will still lose lots of heat... Whereas a room we can insulate much better all around (and then fill it with heaps of tanks without worrying about heatloss :bounce: )

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

id use expol as it has large beads of poly the more expanded the poly is the more pores it has so the better the insulation it just so happens that the more expanded it is the cheaper too

Interesting...hmm where can you get those?..just weighing which ones are cheaper and stuff

Hopefully I can get some good pictures without much glare and put it up soon

Probably easier to buy poly haha will be doing a moss background and getting some more plants ie moss on wood, ambulias, java ferns, amazon swords etc (most of the low-medium light requirement plants) that's the kind of feel I want to do but we'll see...probably going to go with the flow with whatever happens

I got mine from EXPOL, they delivery after a certain amount.

I got new sheets as I could not be bothered finding cheaper! I have already made up the $400 spent long ago! Its worth while

I used 40mm for the ceiling, all the ceiling and high areas. I used 25mm for the walls,

I tried to use as thick as possible on areas where space isn’t a problem as in taking up too much space and making the rooms maller.

To be honest, its amazing stuff, the temperature difference outside3 and inside is MASSIVE, my garage has a back area that I blocked off with a makeshift door, the temp there is same as outside….

The difference is massive! I mean massive.

In the summer, my power bill with 2x 1200 litre tanks, 1x 360 and 1x 300 litres, all having at least 100% turnover over a week was about $200 ish. For so many tanks that’s very little I think. Also tanks hold temperature better.

To be honest, its not your garage, iw ould be inclined to line the tank and line it well, make sure that the poly is stuck as much as possible, but lining the garage is better.

Don’t know the size of my garage, but it is a little smalle than yours law, but maybe you can find cheaper poly and have more patience hunting around for it.

I say insulate it, it will pay dividends later.

This hobby is long sighted:D

Tinfoil barbs ill eat plants and destroy them

Fishie are you saying that your garage door is pretty much open 24/7?

If so it would help A LOT if you could keep it closed as much as possible...

Your tanks heat up a small layer of air around the sides of your tank and that helps insulate against heatloss.. This works best of course if there is no movement of air in the room, but as soon a little wind blows in this layer is removed and you loose a lot more heat from those surfaces..

I'd say keep the door shut as much as you can and insulate with 25mm poly on whatever sides you can.. best you can do.

We only keep it open when we are there because there is not enough light in the garage otherwise its closed. The light inside the garage is at the far end of the garage, to keep it closed we probably need to buy another light or something to make it brighter and maybe build a handle from the inside of the garage?- this will make pulling it up from the inside much easier..will see will see

Will buy poly for around the tank and the sump..planning on insulating the pipes as well to reduce most heat loss.

Thank you for providing me information.

Will post pics and see how it goes :gigl:

We only keep it open when we are there because there is not enough light in the garage otherwise its closed. The light inside the garage is at the far end of the garage, to keep it closed we probably need to buy another light or something to make it brighter and maybe build a handle from the inside of the garage?- this will make pulling it up from the inside much easier..will see will see

Will buy poly for around the tank and the sump..planning on insulating the pipes as well to reduce most heat loss.

Thank you for providing me information.

Will post pics and see how it goes :gigl:

did you contact that place and see,what was the price i think it cost me around 100 to cover my shed 2.4 x 2.4 x 2 m and i even did underneath the floor

Just get some hot water cylinder wrap. The stuff that has the silver paper on one side and the white cotton wool type stuff on the other side.

Works better than poly and pink batts. Easy to work with and you can just tape it to the edges of the tanks so you don't see it from the front.

you'd be better off using plumbers lagging (for hot water pipes). pink batts comes in large bales (unless you got some offcuts from a building site or something) it also deteriorates quite quicly if left exposed. alternatively you could get some closed cell foam from para rubber (or similar) and tape it around the pipes. something to remember with insulating materials like pink batts is that they are no longer effective when compressed. unless you are framing it in and lining pinkbatts is not a great option. polystyrene is much better for taping to the side of the tank, or insulating when you are not lining (unlined building sites are full of fibreglass dust until the gib goes up).

Haven't been following thread properly, but what kind of filtration are you using? You have quite a lot of detritus on your sand.

Sorry, I was resetting all my filters when I was taking the photos(Had to do some wiring). There isn't anything wrong with my filters. The tank is clean after a couple of minutes. I will put some decent photos of my tank soon. Just sorting out my fish and plants.