Striped Raphael Catfish = Chocolate Talking Catfish?

Carlos & Siran

So, our SA biotope has been over run by MTS and we don't want to use the snail rid because a) its not good for the fish and b) it doesn't work. We googled SA fish that eat snails and it came up with the Striped Raphael Catfish as one of them, one of the common names for it on Google was the chocolate talking catfish, is this one and the same talking catfish we can get here? and if it is what are people's experiences with them eating snails?

Thanks

Okay so I have Googled Striped Raphael Catfish and have come up with Platydoras Costatus (Chocolate talking catfish) and they are available in NZ. Thanks for the help.

Would someone be able to answer the other question as to whether they have noticed their chocolate talking catfish eating snails? It says they do, but would like someone to confirm it if possible.

Thanks

Did you look at the link I posted? P. costatus is the one the rest of the world calls "chocolate" (not sure where NZ got mixed up) and I don't recall ever seeing them here, and the one we call "chocolate" and the rest of the world calls striped/humbug is P. armatulus. Can't comment on the snail eating thing though, all the ones I've kept were total recluses who wouldn't eat for weeks then suddenly appear and eat sinking pellets until they looked ready to explode and then go back into hibernation. Cool fish, but not particularly exciting to keep.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, i've had mine for the past 8years or so. I see him all the time (in his cave), especially when its feeding time. He cleaned up every snail in sight and havn't had any since. But if your looking to get rid of snails I'd probably lean towards getting some Clown loaches or similar.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...