Hello everybody!

Galaxiid

My fish keeping adventures started when I was quite small and I got a tank with goldfish for Christmas. I had them for years. I have always liked to watch animals of all types and the tank soon became home to native fishes and other freshwater critters caught from a creek down in the back paddock on my dad's farm.

Now I live on the North Shore and I am currently studying at Auckland University. I have a number of tanks now ('cos you can't stop at one amiright?), though only 2 are up and running. One 200L, housing a Long-finned Eel (who due to it's companion eating tendencies is all alone) with fresh-water shrimp and mussels (things that cannot be eaten). And a 40L with 5 Inanga and yet more shrimp. These are going to be expanded soon when I head back up north to the folks'. I want to collect a couple of Bullies of different species and some of the invertebrates.

I'm also looking to add a tropical set up at some point with some South American species and perhaps another with mbuna cichlids. I am also tempted to create a native salt-water set up based on rock-pool species.

So yeah colour me obsessed :)

I'm looking forward to being able to talk to other fish people, the original attract to this site was because of a nasty white spot infestation (something I have never had happen before) but we managed to beat it, and nobody died!

The eel in action before the killing started and everyone were friends: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp54JGdH8ZM

nice eel! Love that reverse gear.

have seen a few biggies in the wild recently (sadly 'big' these days isn't a shadow on what there used to be), they really make you almost instinctively hold them in awe. Amazing animals, beautiful to spotlight.

The eel has grown since the video! He's around 40 cm now and so active that sometimes when he's impatient for food he actually climbs out of the tank at me (no proper lid at the moment). It's a pain in the butt as if I don't catch him before he's more than halfway out he ends up on the floor. :facepalm: I'm sure you can imagine what you get when an animal that produces a lot of slime when frightened comes in contact with a difficult to properly vacuum, waffle weave carpet. It is rather difficult to rinse fluff off an eel. :lol:

Mine used to be rather shy too, but I think because the tank is no longer in a corner out of the way and that I study next to it has made him accustomed to people moving about and even the odd bump.