Shrimp

jn87

You don't need an overabundance of streams ;)

Take a torch, head to the lower end of a river/stream, the orange eyes darting around everywhere are shrimp.

You might even get to see some interesting things in this big time-consuming countryside. 8)

Does anyone know where i can get a fresh water Ghost Shrimp?

You are right, there isn't much unpolluted water, or rivers at all, in and around Christchurch. However, there used to be a lot of shrimp in the Selwyn just below the upper huts, although it has been quite a few years since I was there.......

New Zealand has only a single species of decapod freshwater shrimp; Family Atyidae: Paratya curvirostris, in the entire country. It is the southernmost member of its family the Atyidae whose distribution includes the western edge of the Pacific Ocean from Siberia, through Asia, Indonesia and Australasia. P. curvirostris is found only in New Zealand (i.e. it is endemic) and has been found all the way from Northland to Stewart Island, and on the Chatham Islands. As its distribution moves south its upper altitudinal limit decreases suggesting temperature is an important factor limiting this distribution.

My 2 shrimps that were caught in a cold stream last year are still alive and living in 27 degrees if the thermometer is correct. Currently patrolling the sand looking for snacks.

They went from cold outside to unheated inside, to a 24 degree tank, back to the bugs tank, back to the killie tank, back to the bugs tank that is now the cory tank. They are unstoppable!

so are there no shops in christchurch stocking fresh water ghost shrimps?

I've also been looking for them for quite a while

I'm not sure it would be legal for them to stock them. I think Alan has said before that it's technically illegal to collect them because they're covered under the crustacean harvesting laws?

I would avoid calling them ghost shrimp. That common name is not applied to these guys.

There is only one shrimp in NZ so just 'freshwater shrimp' works. Or Paratya.

Technically illegal to sell. Legal to collect so long as you stick to the strict daily bag limit for crustacea: 50. That goes for Daphnia too :roll: :lol:

I see heaps when trout fishing out the Ashley after dark. I have a few in my tank some died in the first week others are still fine. They are very interesting to watch.

*GASP* You took an invasive destructive introduced exotic species out of wild and killed it? Don't let the government know, they'll be upset with you.