What is the best way to culture Whiteworms?

Joe

Hey everyone,

I am thinking of culturing some whiteworms in icecream containers, with a square in the middle of the lid cut out with netting over it for ventilation, and I'm going to use potting mix as the culture medium. Is this a good idea?

Does anyone have any suggestions or any better, more succesful ways to culture Whiteworms? Should I use wooden boxes instead of icecream containers?

Thanks,

Joe

I keep mine in wooden containers as I find they do best in them. I use spent potting mix as a media, feed them on luncheon and they need to be kept cool. There are a number of ways people propagate them successfully so you will need to try a few and see what works best for you. The main killer is heat.

Cool thanks guys.

If I make my own wooden boxes, what box size is recommended? I want something that isn't too small.

What do I paint the box with so it doesn't rot? (this has happened to my Whiteworm boxes in the past). Some sort of wood varnish?

And to put the box together, screws or nails? And what type?

BTW I'm thinking of making it out of plywood because we have tonnes of it at the moment.

I just line the box with a shopping bag to protect the wood from the moist media.

Yeah that's exactly what I did; I also used the potting mix bag, and tried several layers of shopping bags, but moisture always managed to find its way into the wood :x