Near Death Experience

Joe

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I changed the DIY CO2 mixture because I hadn't changed it for a couple of weeks because I am too lazy. After a couple of hours it started producing bubbles as usual. I noticed the fish at the surface so I angled the filter outlet at the surface to create some agitation.

At sometime past 4am this morning I turned the light on in my room cause I got up to go to the loo, and noticed all my fish at the surface on their sides all gasping and looking half dead. Amoung them were my prized Apistogramma macmasteri :tears: I immediately turned on the tank lights, disconnected the CO2, changed the filter outlet (an Eheim elbow) for the spray bar, and put an Eheim air diffuser in the tank and set the airpump to high, to create as much agitation as possible. The fish still looked dead, but after a while my Emperor Tetras recovered. The Apistos and all my other tetras and rasboras were still at the suface gasping, and some of the tetras started swimmimg and spiraling around as they did so. The Apistos had no energy and could bearly swim. I left everything as is, because mum wouldn't let me do a partial water change, and turned the lights off and went to bed, because there was nothing else I could do.

This morning when I turned the lights on, everybody had recovered and was looking well. The Apistos were chasing each other around and being cute as they usually do. But I have a few questions:

Even though my fish seem all right, has this ordeal made them permanently weaker?

Is it possible that they could have suffered brain damage from lack of oxygen?

Could they have suffered memory loss? (when I wriggle my finger on the surface of the water the Apistos come up and nibble my finger, yet this morning they got completely spooked by it).

Is there anything else that I should be doing to help them at all in any way?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

I left everything as is, because mum wouldn't let me do a partial water change, and turned the lights off and went to bed, because there was nothing else I could do.

Wouldn't let you? :-?

Great that your babies are alright though :lol:

I would have done a water change too but you certainly did all the right things, well done on saving your fish :hail:

Wouldn't let you? :-?

Mum said she doen't like me doing fish tank stuff at night. It's like she would be happy if I lost $180 worth of Apistos plus all my shoaling fish :-? She says that if I lose them that it's my problem and my money. I honestly thought that they were going to end up like my Apistogramma trifasciata. With the tri's I wasn't really worried about the money side of things though (only $48 for the pair; mac's are $45 each :o ) - more the fact that they were a rare fish and I lost the pair and now we have no females left in NZ so they can no longer be bred and they will just die out.

The fish that were quite badly affected by this were the smaller shoaling fish. The Apistos didn't look at all happy but they seem quite tough. I'm so relieved that they pulled through.

Would your mum be alright if you had to do an urgent water change or something to do with the fish in the middle of the night if it was a life or death situation?

Yesterday I changed the DIY CO2 mixture because I hadn't changed it for a couple of weeks because I am too lazy.

I believe this is the key point. I do not think it fair to blame mum for not wanting you to disturb the whole household because you had been too lazy to do it when you should. Joe is lucky to have parents as lenient as they are to allow him to do the things he already does.

I believe this is the key point. I do not think it fair to blame mum for not wanting you to disturb the whole household because you had been too lazy to do it when you should. Joe is lucky to have parents as lenient as they are to allow him to do the things he already does.

So if he had done it when he should have, there would have been no CO2 spike?

Yep exactly.

I knew what had happened, and I completely forgot about this sort of thing happening before I changed the CO2 mix :facepalm: :oops:

The whole point in this thread was to ask experienced fishkeepers if my fish would be OK...

I certainly know how to avoid this sort of problem in the future :lol:

I'm so stupid :facepalm: :lol:

How big is said C02 setup in relation to your tank?

I would hazard a guess that a bigger mix will produce more C02 than a smaller one?

My Nutrifin setup uses half a cup of sugar, half a teaspoon of yeast and about 500ml water, this does a 54l tank without causing gasping problems.

And what time of the day did you start the new mix this time - if it was in the evening then as someone else said then the lights went out, the plants do not use the C02 in the dark.

How heavily planted is your tank? It should be relevant to the amount of Co2 you are injecting.

Also, all your fert dosing should be done in the morning before lights come on to encourage photosynthesis. By injecting Co2 you must match with increased fert dosing to make the most of it.

Have you thought about investing in a dropchecker? I've seen them on TM for quite cheap and will give you an early warning when Co2 levels are dangerous.

My tank is heavily planted.

I changed the CO2 mixture during the day.

I use 2x 3L juice bottles with 2 cups sugar and a couple of teaspoons of yeast per bottle. My tank has always been fine with this.

I do not dose ferts, but I do dose Excel. I give the plants root ferts (peat moss with JBL balls). But I should think about getting some PMDD or some Flouish Comprehensive.

Once I have a bit more cash I'll get a drop checker.

:D

My tank is heavily planted.

I changed the CO2 mixture during the day.

I use 2x 3L juice bottles with 2 cups sugar and a couple of teaspoons of yeast per bottle. My tank has always been fine with this.

I do not dose ferts, but I do dose Excel. I give the plants root ferts (peat moss with JBL balls). But I should think about getting some PMDD or some Flouish Comprehensive.

Once I have a bit more cash I'll get a drop checker.

:D

Start dosing ferts and your plants will grow crazy... PMDD